Who has a kickin' vehicle sound system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last and final build consisted of Focal BE 3 ways, Alpine F1 etc, etc. It's been a long time away from the ~hobby~

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I never understood the Din thing. What does it mean?

Digital interfaced neo-reamer

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I never understood the Din thing. What does it mean?

Digital interfaced neo-reamer

Yeah, that.

Or... https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-1-din-car-stereo-534607

smile.gif

i couldnt afford a loud stereo when i was in high school. but i can afford it in my 30's...
alpine single din digital media reciever
polk mm components up front
18 inch dayton ultimax sub,5 cubic foot box, port tuned at 19hz, yes 19hz.
200w rms for each front speaker
1000w rms for the sub

i keep breaking door lock actuators and window tracks

the factory bose system in my acura had about -10 watts so i had to upgrade.

The stock sound system in my Fusion is actually surprisingly good. It's the upgraded "10-speaker" system. Good bass, wide frequency response, and plenty of power. I've been considering adding in a small subwoofer (6") too.

I loved aftermarket systems when I was young, and the OEM systems have come a loooonnnggg way. Too bad the aftermarket systems got so ugly (unless touch screens), especially for an older car. I wouldn't have gone to the trouble to transplant a GM Serial bus radio if I could have found something attractive to me in a double DIN.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: dgunay

28ic4s0.jpg

Nice ride. Now I know where Hyundai lifted the Veloster rear end from

Thanks. For 2010 MY car, the design is really attractive. Trunk space wasn't great though.

1zn4ieb.jpg

Also, this is the base trim. Megane RS (hothatch version) looks even better.

Although it is not the most reliable car (had to replace turbocharger 2 times, all covered by the warranty though), I'd definitely buy it again if it is available in North America.

The Sonata is a base model with the factory stereo. It's ok I guess, sounds world's better than my grandparent's 2011 CRV, that car had the worst stereo. I'd like to upgrade the Sonata's one day though.

I replaced the Camry's deck with a Pioneer and the speakers are PPI. Sounds quite good. Not pro though that's for sure.

The Jeep was bought new by the state of Arizona and is an extreme base model. It didn't even have a tape player, and only had front speakers. Wasn't even wired for rear speakers from the factory. Had mounting holes though. So I put 4 new Rockford Fosgate speakers in it and a Pioneer deck, as well as an under the seat powered Pioneer subwoofer. Sounds way better than stock.

Originally Posted By: CorvairGeek
I wouldn't have gone to the trouble to transplant a GM Serial bus radio if I could have found something attractive to me in a double DIN.

That actually does look quite good, especially since GM's radios in the 1970s-1980s were all double-shaft American-mount. I remember those as a kid.

Was that off a mid-level Chevy truck/SUV, given that GM doesn't offer XM Radio on base model cars? How did you get the GM LAN working or did you wire up the BCM from the donor car to get the Theftlock system and serial bus working?

I appreciate that. My '84 Caprice was the last year of those awful, dual shaft radios. Mine was a radio delete car, I had a Mitsubishi component system (another oddity) in the car since I bought it new.
The radio face is Buick only (2003 - 2006), though it is internally similar to other units of the era. Mine is 2005 LeSabre, which added another challenge with the Dock-n-Lock rear connector (unique to LeSabre /Aurora /Bonneville). It is the GM Class II serial bus, the 2006 Lucerne was the debut of LAN in the big Buick. This one requires the DIM (Dash Interface Module) for power on and the IPM (Insturment Panel Integration Module) for full vacuum fluorescent display brightness. It defaults to dimmed without it, as it is part of the automatic lighting scheme.
This was before installation 2 years ago, after adding LED backlighting;

The entire system ready to go in the car;
I went ahead shortly after and added the DDM (Driver's Door Module) and RIM (Rear Interface Module), along with a fuse and relay setup to implement the keyless entry system. The radio retains power for 10 minutes or powers off when the door is opened, as originally designed. You can see the ODBII connector as part of the system.

I most certainly do not! Although I am a little excited I finally put a small sub in the summer car; even after putting a nice'ish deck and JL Audio speakers it lacked ALL bottom end. Found a 12in (cheapy) and 300W pioneer amp for dirty cheap on CL and it actually sounds like a normal stereo now
smile.gif

On that same note, after swapping out to a fairly basic Alpine deck in my F150 the stereo actually sounds pretty nice. Not amazing, but for factory speakers I was impressed.

I'm 69 years old and have 8 speakers + sub in my RAV4 for a total of 600 watts. Speakers are aftermarket and upsized with crossovers, JL Audio Class D 4 channel amp, JL Audio Cleansweep sound processor, Bazooka 10" sub. All stealth installed and looks stock.....as long as the rear cover is hiding the Bazooka. All that have heard it said one word...WOW!

It is a custom set up for clarity and surround as opposed to just loud and deafening bass. It will go louder than you'd ever want though without distorting, the Cleansweep sees to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back