2018 Jeep Cherokee, 3.2 V6, oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new 2018 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 with the 3.2 V6. I was wondering on OCI for this engine. I was going to change out at about 2500, and then use synthetic, either Penn of Valvo 5W20 then follow the OLM...thoughts?

M1 0W20 AFE
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
M1 0W20 AFE
smile.gif

I believe it still doesn't meet the Chrysler spec, if the warranty is a concern.

DC recommends Pennzoil (marketing agreement), but I use Valvoline syn in my 2015 (it meets the specs). No complaints at all. In fact, I ran Pennzoil syn for the first 3 oil changes, but I think it likes the Valvoline better, It is completely anecdotal, but it sounds better with the Valvoline to my ears and mileage is just as good. I did a UOA with the Pennzoil and it was just fine. Haven't done one with the Valvoline yet, but I'm sure it would be fine too. The new formulation of the former SynPower looks even better when you consider NOAK and TBN.

Originally Posted By: ejes
DC recommends Pennzoil (marketing agreement), but I use Valvoline syn in my 2015 (it meets the specs). No complaints at all. In fact, I ran Pennzoil syn for the first 3 oil changes, but I think it likes the Valvoline better, It is completely anecdotal, but it sounds better with the Valvoline to my ears and mileage is just as good. I did a UOA with the Pennzoil and it was just fine. Haven't done one with the Valvoline yet, but I'm sure it would be fine too. The new formulation of the former SynPower looks even better when you consider NOAK and TBN.

This

Aren't they factory filled with synthetic already? Either or, that's an old myth about not being able to use synthetic to break in a new engine. So many engines come FF with it so clearly it's not a problem!
As far as oil goes, I recommend whatever meets the specs of the major brands. Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline! All are great.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
M1 0W20 AFE
smile.gif

I believe it still doesn't meet the Chrysler spec, if the warranty is a concern.

I didnt know this

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
M1 0W20 AFE
smile.gif

I didnt know this

I'm sure it exceeds the spec, and the reasons it doesn't meet the spec are sour grapes and politics, etc..........

Read the manual, use oil that meets the spec for FCA. there is a thread running now where a non spec filter was used and the dealer is trying to deny warranty. there are plenty of excellent oils that meet Chrysler spec, so why even consider not using them. I used Mobil synthetic and a pure one filter on my previous 03 Ram, 13 years and 216,000 miles and engine was perfect when I sold it.

My 2016 Ram has life max care warranty, FCA specs 6395 and recommends Mopar filter. Why would I ask for the hassle of arguing a non spec oil or filter is ok when all I have to do is use one of the very good oils speced by FCA.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Aren't they factory filled with synthetic already? Either or, that's an old myth about not being able to use synthetic to break in a new engine. So many engines come FF with it so clearly it's not a problem!
As far as oil goes, I recommend whatever meets the specs of the major brands. Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline! All are great.

I am guessing the FF for a GM is Dexos1 or Dexos 2 . I have foundno Dexoa dino oil . All is either a blend or full synthetic .

Do not know about Chrysler products ?

I’ve been running 5w20 PP or QSUD in the wife’s Jeep. Whichever is on sale or has rebates at the time changed every 7k-8k miles. Both meet FCA specs, no engine issues at all...The transmission is a different story though.

Last edited:
Use new Valvoline syn or Quaker state 0W-20.
I wonder if Toyota brand 0W-20 is approved. If yes that is worth trying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back