New Honda Oil Filter 15400-RTA-003 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered in some 15400-PLM-A01 filters for myself and some of the techs at work. Then we were talking about oil filters with parts, and a box of these new filters showed up just today.

Looks like Honda is going to be switching to a new 15400-RTA-003?

Looks good. Made in Japan again by Mahle Tennex Corp. Nice that they come individually boxed. Also, looks similar to the Filtech A01, but the bypass valve inside looks different.

Good/bad?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like factory sealed filters. Shows they care about even that tiniest of dirt getting in before the customer goes to prime the oil filter and mount it on the car.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
Thanks for sharing. That looks like some of the old Made in Japan Nissan OEMs I have in my stash.

Does that mean there are no more FRAM-made A02s?

Hopefully somebody cuts one open and we can see inside.

Not sure about the A02's, we just received this random box of RTA today along with a bunch of A02.

It will be interesting to see if the topic Mahle made Honda filter is a no endcap type like the Filtec A01 or fiber endcap like the Fram made A02. Having recently cut open a Nissan Factory filter also made by Mahle in Japan, it is a fiber endcap construction.

Either way, I'm doubtful that here in the States the topic filter will replace the Fram made A02 as the predominate OEM filter sold by Honda dealers. Could be wrong, but just as the A01 rare at dealers here, thinking similar for topic filter. My .02

Thanks for posting mightymousetech. This seems to buck the current trend of Japanese made filters being used in the JDM and shipping foreign made filters to the US. ( Mexico, Thailand, etc)

I too have always appreciated the sealed cellophane wrap and pre-lubed o ring gasket.

Even though the end caps are not metal, they look pretty thick and stought. Don't think they would pose any problems, and Honda must think the design is fine.

Based on recent Mahle made Nissan factory filter dissection I'll post soon, unsurprised by fiber endcap construction. With the exception of Nissan using a nitrile adbv, looks identical.

Looking at the Nissan FF post use, lots of pleats, endcaps relatively think and most important to me, good coverage/seal at both centertube ends.

As noted, I doubt the Mahle will replace the Fram made A02 at majority Honda dealers here. Time will tell.

Thanks for c&p.

Parts guy phoned Honda and asked whats up.

Apparently they have a huge overstock of the RTA worldwide, so we will be getting them instead of the PLM-A02 for a while.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: deven
Looks identical to the Fram Honda filters

No it does not...

Amen DuckRyder

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: deven
Looks identical to the Fram Honda filters

No it does not...

+1 It looks nothing like the FRAM.

Here is an old thread from 2007 which has a cut open Nissan OEM. Filter looks almost identical to the RTA-003 in this thread, except for the ADBV.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=805680&page=all

For the right price, I would use the RTA-003.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back