Resurrecting A Sony Hi-8 Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran across three videos from a former videocamera repairman who described how to disassemble these things, what to look for, how to align the heads and even swap parts. Turns out I have a TRV-66 Hi-8 XR unit I bought new back in 1999 that had begun to act up on occasion. It ate a tape or two, refused to play a tape, would act 'stuck' then refuse to eject the tape and at times, not even allow the tape to load. So, I quit using it.

After watching the three videos, I pulled it out, followed his instructions to split the case apart, reset a few flex connectors while treating them with DeOxit, cleaned the tape path and restored the pinch roller/capstan. Result? Now loads tapes, plays, records, rewinds....all like it used to! Rather amazing. Plus, I have a few dozen tapes I've made over the years that I'd like to xnsfr to the DVD recorder mentioned in another thread.

If you still have one of these and are detail oriented, you may be able to restore it to working condition by following his instructions. Worked for me....

8mm Camera Repair, Part I
Part II
Part III

I have a sony camera from 2002. Still works although the battery doesn't hold a charge so you have to have the cord plugged in to use it.

You lucked out this time. Don't expect the same results next time. You likely can't get parts or tapes anymore. Anything more involved with the basic repair you done would require test equipment and alignment tapes. It was a losing format from the begining known for tape path issues and dropouts.

Last edited:
No new parts were needed. Further, I'll have a ready supply of tapes after xnsfrng the media to DVD or HDD to further edit. I don't agree it was a losing format 'from the beginning'. Neither does the guy who produced the repair videos.

Go rain on someone else's success story. It's worked fine ever since.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
No new parts were needed. Further, I'll have a ready supply of tapes after xnsfrng the media to DVD or HDD to further edit. I don't agree it was a losing format 'from the beginning'. Neither does the guy who produced the repair videos.

Good luck with your 25 year old format.Happy tootin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Originally Posted By: sleddriver

Good luck with your 25 year old format.Happy tootin.
Dude...time to take your fingers off the keys, back away from the keyboard and go do something else for a change.

gotta love easy saves of vintage gear.
at least is not a ccd-f series.
imagine having to replace every smd lytic in it.
i did quite a few back in the day.
open door,sniff,i smell fish!
then give the customer the bad news.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
open door,sniff,i smell fish!

Old faulty selenium rectifiers were easy to diagnose as well .
55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back