Amica and/or Geico Car Insurance Experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
After being a State Farm customer for 37ish years, I am seriously considering kicking them to the curb. Cost seems to be increasing at an exponential rate and I have had ZERO claims in 20+ years. With the addition of the new Mercedes cars, they have effectively priced themselves out of the market.

I x-shopped Amica, Farmers, Geico, Progressive, and Safeco. Amica and Geico are the clear winners on price (and it is a 1:1 comparison with the State Farm coverages that I have), but price is not the be-all end-all, particularly if the customer service is as bad or worse than State Farm.

Does anyone have experience with Amica and/or Geico?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

My father has been a customer of Geico since the mid 60s, and I have been a customer for about 15 years. The last few years it had been steadily increasing in price, even with my defensive driver online course discount and good credit score discount (crazy that that even matters). And then I turned 30 and it dropped $100 on my 6 month premium. I've never had a problem getting through to them and their website it pretty good.

Last edited:
Don't know if Auto Owners is licensed in Texas, I've used them off and on for several years and they've got a good reputation. Think CR usually has them rated in top two or three for customer service. They sell through independent agents and do little or no advertising.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RoGuE
The last few years it had been steadily increasing in price, even with my defensive driver online course discount and good credit score discount (crazy that that even matters)

Read this lifted straight from the Esurance FAQ page:
Quote:
While the reasons why are less than crystal clear, research shows that credit scores can accurately predict accident potential. Statistical analysis shows that those with higher credit scores tend to get into fewer accidents and cost insurance companies less than their lower-scoring counterparts.

In 2003, The University of Texas conducted an analysis based on 175,647 policies. They found that those with lower credit scores tended to incur more car insurance losses and higher claims payout, and thus posed greater risk to auto insurers.

Link to U of T study.

Something to consider is that insurance companies are really IT companies.
Their ability to gather and accurately analyze information, i.e. insurance risk, is the largest predictor of their potential to turn profits.
If they don't do a good job of analyzing you, the likelihood they will lose money on you as a customer is much higher.
Timely data gathering and analysis does not guarantee profits, but slow, sloppy data gathering and analysis guarantees losses.

Last edited:
very good experiences with Geico here. switched about 2 years ago and only a minimal increase over that period. the online choices really allow you to tailor your policy.

I was able to shop homeowners separately and get a better deal through an independent agent. the independent checks up every six months on the auto policy, and has yet to come close to the geico price for auto.

I have heard from attorneys that their claims process can be challenging.

I would recommend that you try to avoid paying monthly - they do tack on a service charge. if you are a member of a professional organization or a alumni association changes are they have an additional discount available.

I'm surprised you had the same price with Amica. I'd go with them if the price is the same. I have Geico on my Mercedes, they were much cheaper than Amica. I had glass coverage with Geico and they wouldn't let me take it to the dealer, probably could have but they were saying stuff like it might not be covered and they wouldn't pay for OEM glass due to the age. So now of course the windshield squeaks, did it in winter, guess Safelite didn't have their glue cure properly. Wait for warmer/dryer weather to have them redo it.

I wouldn't have Geico and fancy cars. My dad has done collision repair for 30 years, and he says Geico are total cheapskates when it comes to paying for collision repair. They don't want to pay for cleanup for used parts and blending of the paint, negotiating hours per job is difficult too, they want to pay for cheap parts as well. My grandparent's have had it for years and when their windshield had a crack I called to file a claim and it was like pulling teeth getting them to cover it. Saying they had to pay their $500 deductible first. That was nonsense and I told them, then they magically found a waiver in their policy?

The issue(s) with Geico is that they don't have Home Owners Insurance. So-that gets farmed out to one of their "partners". Also-if one carries insurance for any rental properties or you want an umbrella policy those are not available from Geico either.

Geico uses shops they have negotiated lower than market labor rates. You want that shop working on your Mercedes?

Everything Nick1994 says is the way Geico operates.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CKN
The issue(s) with Geico is that they don't have Home Owners Insurance. So-that gets farmed out to one of their "partners". Also-if one carries insurance for any rental properties or you want an umbrella policy those are not available from Geico either.

Geico uses shops they have negotiated lower than market labor rates. You want that shop working on your Mercedes?

Everything Nick1994 says is the way Geico operates.

Well I hardly ever go to the dealer and I have random people working on it occasionally. The options are fun to play with, otherwise to me it's just another car, not some prized possession. It's older too at this stage so it's already got some scratches. I wax them out sometimes, but after a good car wash, they tend to come back.

It's weird how much your credit rating affects your insurance rates!

We've had State Farm since 1991. Just had to replace my wife's totaled 2011 V6 Mustang fastback, got a 2017 V8 Mustang GT Premium Convertible, rate only increased < $100 / year. They have been great on our recent claim and subrogating it to the other (at-fault) party's insurance.

I had GEICO before then, they were weird about insuring performance cars. Dumped them and never looked back.

Last edited:

In Texas, consumers have the right to use any shop they want to. Not sure where OP is, but this may or may not be a problem there.

Originally Posted By: robertcope

In Texas, consumers have the right to use any shop they want to. Not sure where OP is, but this may or may not be a problem there.
Correct, this is not an issue in Texas.

I get AMICA flyers in the mail all the time. I had never heard of them so I gave them a call. No accidents, no tickets and outstanding credit. They were 60% higher annually than my present carrier, Travellers Insurance.
21.gif

I was with AAA for many years. The rates would climb every year even with zero claims. I have a coworker whose Wife works for Geico so I gave them a call.
Better rates by $200 a years for the same coverage. Is been a few years now with one glass claim. Still paying the same rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back