Any "easy" short term intl travel options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only have 3 or 4 days. Just want to go stay some place that is outside of the 50 states.

Warm weather would be ideal.

Cozumel, MX is another good option, or elsewhere along the Mexican Riviera.

Any of the Netherlands Antillies. Aruba if wanting a more Americanized island experience, Curacao if you want a more Dutch island experience, St. Maarten if you want a near-to-St. Bart's island experience, Bonaire if you want a more laid back island scuba diving experience, Saba if you want an island rainforest experience (3 different ecologies depending on elevation plus the planet's shortest commercial airstrip), St. Eustatius if you want a real get-away-from-it-all experience with a black sand beach.

No idea how well recovered the USVI are yet post-Maria but you might find some deals there revitalizing the travel industry. St. Croix Cane Bay are is our favorite of the USVI as scuba divers.

Belize if you want a reef, rainforest, and ruins destination but that's too much to do in that time period, but a good pick for rain forest and a few ruins in that time frame.

Jamaica if you go to an all-inclusive for just a few days.

Recommend you check CDC recommendations before you choose. Some places it's wise to start anti-malaria meds specific for this hemisphere 2 weeks before departing, among other things. It's better to be preventatively medicated before you go than seeking medical care at a foreign destination (some spooky stories) or after you return IMO whether it's tetanus, typhoid, malaria, etc. The Cayman Islands, the Dutch islands, and USVI are particularly attractive for the minimal immunization recommendations compared to many nearby foreign destinations.

Do you prefer one without an extradition treaty?
shocked.gif

It all depends on what you want to do.

If you want access to scuba diving and other sports activities, an ultra-inclusive like Sandals is a good choice especially with your short time window.

We've done that, but prefer independent adventure travel instead of group accomodations & excursions. Having said that, there are definite locations I wouldn't personally choose to rent a vehicle and drive independently such as Mexico, Jamaica, Belize, or Honduras among others. Some have small enough populations and few enough roads renting a vehicle is really impractical like Cayman Brac, Little Cayman, Saba, and St. Eustatius.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Only have 3 or 4 days. Just want to go stay some place that is outside of the 50 states.

Not a ton of time. Not sure where you are or when you would go, but Bermuda could be in play (and can be much closer for some), or else the Bahamas.

Also consider a cruise from Florida.

I just not a fan of Mexico anymore. I've been, but will not go back until its more lawful. If you snorkel perhaps ST.Johns, go to trunk bay.

Anywhere in Britain. Not warm, but terrific culture shock. My first trip to Britain was wonderful. And they speak English too.

Southern France. Warm plus culture shock, and French speaking.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Not a ton of time. Not sure where you are or when you would go, but Bermuda could be in play (and can be much closer for some), or else the Bahamas.

Also consider a cruise from Florida.

Bermuda is barely breaking 70°F daily high temperatures right now, it's farther north than most people realize. Current water temperature at Bermuda is only 68°F.

Current water temperature in the southern Caribbean ABC Islands is 79°F with daily high land temperatures in the low 80s°F in comparison.

Last edited:
Cayman Islands are so nice(it was 45 min flight to Miami where we connected). The snorkeling is incredible and lots to do all over island. Very pretty to rent car for day or so. I think low season now. The place was a ghost town last year around this time just past easter. Beautiful swimming holes/snorkeling all over. I was surprised the food was really good there.

The only other place I have been in Carribean is Aruba which I found nice if you love beach but otherwise lacking and "tacky".

I stayed at the business hotel (Hampton Inn) with no views and its beach front empty.

Your location in "the USA" will impact travel plans.
Proximity to the needed airport and possibly getting the day's FIRST PLANE OUT plays into a super brief vacation big-time.

INSPIRATIONAL ANECDOTE:
For years a couple traveled 4-5 hours south to NYC / NJ to get planes to St. Thomas (I think) and went through machinations so they could get up real early on departure day and be on that first plane.
This kills a day.
I just learned this so they'll be coming to my place and crashing (easy and headache-free) first. .....then we'll get up EARLY (3:30AM) and I shoot 'em into EWR or JFK.
No rental cars or short term lots or train / bus connections or humping luggage about.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Your location in "the USA" will impact travel plans.
Proximity to the needed airport and possibly getting the day's FIRST PLANE OUT plays into a super brief vacation big-time.

This. Tell us which airport you will fly out of.

I would have said Puerto Rico before the last hurricane...easy access and nice resorts.
With 3-4 days, you want to avoid a lot of connecting flights.
I guess I'd say Aruba now if you can get a direct flight. It is actually South of the Caribbean and not typically affected by hurricanes...you can see Venezuela from it.

From whre do you intend to fly? That plays into a good suggestion.

Try Costa Rica. My brother has been several times and raves about it.

I can easily fly via DFW if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back