Can I just skip the filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 2005 Audi A8 with a [censored] of a oil filter that requires removing air filter box on which now have screws that have rusted and doing oil change turns into an ordeal.

Yeah I’ll drill the screws out eventually and do everything properly when weather gets warm and nice but how bad is it just skipping oil filter for a change.

The recommended oil change on these is 10k miles so idk if skipping the filter is the move who knows when last one was changed, specially considering the air filter box screws are rusted.

I guess changing the oil would still be a good idea, in case the filter is in bypass. But If you don't know when the filter was last changed, i'd get on that now!

Pretty tough to answer unless you knew what kind of oil filter is in it, and when it was changed.

Waaaay back in the 90's when Motorcraft were still considered "top tier" oil filters,
I ran one (M.C. FL-1A) on an older 400M V8 for 30,000 miles, changing only the oil.

When I cut it apart, it looked great! Some little bits of carbon between the pleats,
but all in all - - it made it through that interval just fine.

Clean oil will still flow through any filter media easier than sludgy oil will.

With unknown last filter quality much less interval I personally wouldn't skip it.

Consider a Mann 30 K km (16 K mile) rated oil filter going back in to give you plenty of time to not have to mess with again for a while.

RA LINK

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
... Waaaay back in the 90's when Motorcraft were still considered "top tier" oil filters, I ran one (M.C. FL-1A) on an older 400M V8 for 30,000 miles, changing only the oil.

When I cut it apart, it looked great! Some little bits of carbon between the pleats,
but all in all - - it made it through that interval just fine. ...
That was before we were forced to use itty-bitty filters, though.

I'll attempt to remove the whole air box instead of opening it up as it seems like it's tied down by only 2 bolts.

what do you guys think if I just popped into walmart acting stupid and trying to get their air filter service done... would they go through the trouble opening it up?

why did audi use regular cheap easy to rust philips screws for the airbox I hate Germany. This could've been so much easier.

Last edited:
Well that's a thought but if it's a PITA how much do you trust anyone else to actually do the job, much less properly?

For that matter, what gives you any confidence in the previous air filter FCI and state of the current air filter?

I realize now I fat-fingered the model year on my prior RA link. Here's the correct one.

2005 A8 RA LINK

I have a friend with a 2005 A6 with the 4.2L V8. He uses Wix / NG cartridge oil filters for his engine to 10K miles with M1 0W-40 Euro with good results. The Mann is the only really extended life oil filter I know of for this engine (no Mobil 1 cartridge, Fram only offers an Extra Guard cartridge)

Last edited:
If you know when the filter was installed, you can safely leave it in up to 30,000kms, which is the max for the European variable service monitor on that car.

I ran into the same issue on my Phaeton. I bought a used airbox (with perfect fasteners!) on eBay for under $100. They are captive fasteners and I didn't replace them with regular screws for fear of losing one every time I did an oil change.

Don't blame the hardware, blame careless techs and the fact that you can't get a straight shot at the screws without a 20" screwdriver.

To all the people poo-pooing the design: I'll admit, it's not ideal, but necessary if you want the clean lines of a car like the A8 and functional Quattro AND the 4.2l DOHC V8.

Don't skip. Change it and start from there. Just to give you an idea, I change our 2 cars' oil and filter once a year with around 7k miles each.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
Rusted up screws tells me you do not do filter changes very often.

The car is 13 years old. Screws rust.

And it only needs a filter every year or 10k miles.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: Lubener
Rusted up screws tells me you do not do filter changes very often.

The car is 13 years old. Screws rust.

And it only needs a filter every year or 10k miles.

Also, the OP says they are not sure of the maintenance history. ie not his fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back