2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Took this out for a bit of a tour today. Vehicle has around 1,200Km on it now, belongs to the owner of my dealer.

Most of the characteristics of this vehicle are similar to my 2016 SRT, so I'm not going into detail on that stuff and will instead, primarily cover the differences.

I will note that I really like the pearl-white exterior colour, however I would have preferred a black or brown interior like mine. The red is too "loud" for my taste, I had it in the Charger and greatly prefer what I have now.

Exterior:
There are a few minor changes to the appearance from the "regular" SRT, this includes:
- revised front valance
- revised rear valance w/different exhaust cut-outs for the quad pipes
- "Supercharged" badge beneath the Grand Cherokee script
- This particular one has the blacked out logos and grills
- The brakes are even larger and feature yellow callipers instead of red

Interior:
- The colour-matched door panels (mine are black with tan arm rests) as well as the colour-matched lower panels on the dash really increase the presence of the interior. I find it a bit much. I would prefer more black.
- The updated UConnect screen features different fonts, icons and colours. I like this improvement
- There are more buttons in the centre stack for various control functions
- The gauge cluster has been subtly updated and now includes actual temperature numbers. The speedometer is also in a slight "tunnel" which looks better
- The wheel centre section has been revised. I prefer the earlier one.
- The dash leather has been made smoother (not an improvement)
- The white stitching has been replaced with black (improvement, the white reflects on the windshield)
- The rear-view mirror is now more like the BMW "M" mirror, shaped with rounded corners
- Subtle updates to the shifter handle and red range selector instead of orange

Form and function:
- The suspension appears to be a bit firmer than the regular SRT. Not by much, but it is noticeable.
- The exhaust sounds like a boat. It has a very inboard-like gurgle to it, quite different from the NA 6.4L
- The blower whine makes itself known as soon as you get into the boost. It is audible, but not obnoxious
- Puttering around, it feels less snappy/responsive than its naturally aspirated sibling. It feels slower until you are into boosted territory. If anything, this 707HP beast feels more civil than its sister. This was surprising.
- Transmission programming feels a bit firmer. It is keen to downshift and drag gears when you slow down, feels very much like a manual. Mine does this as well, but it is more noticeable on this model

All-in-all, I was satisfied with it, but the cost of entry when compared to what I drive presently, which feels snappier, is hard to get over. I will likely have the opportunity to buy this one next year, but not sure if I will. Still on the fence.

Some pics:

Bonus points for the first guy to pick up on the shipping damage (still needs to be fixed).

Great review. Are they going above MSRP? In CA a lot are. Still have my eye on a Hellcat Charger...someday...

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Love these Jeeps,but the price tag is a big much IMO.

That's my issue right now. It's $40K more than my present SRT, and I can't, despite how much I try, find $40K worth of "better" in it. The engine is amazing, there's no denying that, but that's a TON of money to pay for what amounts to basically a single big improvement. I can go from zero to illegal in short order already, so while I would love to have the extra jam, I'm really having a hard time with the price.

Originally Posted By: mbacfp
Great review. Are they going above MSRP? In CA a lot are. Still have my eye on a Hellcat Charger...someday...

I don't believe so. There isn't the allure with these as there was with the Charger and Challenger Hellcat cars. My dealer has sold three so far.

Quote:
Bonus points for the first guy to pick up on the shipping damage (still needs to be fixed).

I'll take a shot,even if I'm wrong.

The pipes on the driver's side are hanging low.

Shipping damage on the left exhaust?

Ah, Razorsedge beat me to it. Lol!

Last edited:
I remember the days when a stout N/A BBC would be hard pressed to make 700 honest HP on pump gas, and now we have grocery getters that make that much and feel and sound nearly neutered when not wide open.

Long live the ICE!

Originally Posted By: onemig
Shipping damage on the left exhaust?

Ah, Razorsedge beat me to it. Lol!

I noticed that right away!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge

Quote:

I'll take a shot,even if I'm wrong.

The pipes on the driver's side are hanging low.

I think that's install error actually. Could be shipping damage, but that's not the one I'm thinking of. Look again
wink.gif

Driver side front bumper/fender damage? The gap between the bumper and fender seems larger compared to the passenger side.

Last edited:
Driver side front bumper/fender damage? The gap between the bumper and fender seems larger compared to the passenger side.

This is my guess as well
thumbsup2.gif

That was my guess also
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51

That was my guess also
smile.gif

That was my guess x3

I like the color combo on yours better, are they the same wheels? They look lighter to me. Maybe brake dust on the pics on yours?

I think it would be a blast to drive, but I think I'd prefer the SRT. Even the 3.6L model is more than fast enough, I took the 14' up to the mountains last weekend and it had more power than I'd ever need. Took it off-roading to it's limit too.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Took this out for a bit of a tour today. Vehicle has around 1,200Km on it now, belongs to the owner of my dealer.

Looks like the exhaust got bent up a bit, never even noticed the body damage.

A surprisingly bland vehicle IMO, but it needs a long piece of open road to appreciate it...

Last edited:
I am sure an incredible drive. However so is 425HP in the vehicle you have.

I can't get past the color inside and out. I'd rather have a $30k version in way better scheme to please my senses. Bummer(to me) your prospect is this.

I will take it. Will have to set up a go fund me page first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back