Marine engine oil vs automotive and diesel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if regular automotive engine oil, or diesel/heavy duty engine oil would work in a marine application.

The engine in question is a Suzuki DF140. The Suzuki oil is really expensive (like $9/quart for the old stuff and about $10 or $11 a quart for the new Ecstar stuff local to me), which seems expensive, especially for a 10W-40 synthetic blend. Not only is it expensive, the Suzuki dealer is pretty far from where I am located and inconvenient unless I need anything major done.

Would a quality SN rated automotive oil be ok to use? Preferably Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum or similar since Walmart sells them by the 5 quarts reasonably cheap and they are a quality full synthetic that perform very well in automotive applications.

Otherwise, would a diesel/HDEO like Rotella be better? I think they are designed to stand up in tougher/hotter conditions.

The last option is to just stick with OEM stuff, which is expensive and hard to find, but I'll use it if it truly is just the better option to stick with OEM marine oil in this application. If this is the best option, where can I find the Ecstar oil to order online for a fair price?

These suzuki engines appear to bee very similar to an automotive design, and are water cooled 4 cycle engines, just as cars are, so I would assume regular, quality automotive oil would be fine to use, am I correct or not?

Originally Posted By: Jack2468

...which seems expensive, especially for a 10W-40 synthetic blend.

Otherwise, would a diesel/HDEO like Rotella be better? I think they are designed to stand up in tougher/hotter conditions.

I think Delo synthetic 5W-40 or Rotella synthetic 5W-40 would work just fine in that engine!

FC*W has to be tested for anti foam … some “road oils” are tested similar …

I have read (mechanics on boat blogs) that’s one thing to watch on a Suzuki … (signs of foaming) …

typical manufacturer overpriced oil!!! i would not hesitate to use a "synthetic" car or truck oil + a 15-40 diesel would prolly do well!! i believe walmart sells some marine oils for cheap depending on the store location + theres always .com mail order!!

Here's what Suzuki says:
Quote:
The actual oil recommendation is: SAE or NMMA FC-W 10W-40 (operating in temps from 14 degrees to over 100 degrees F) or 10W-30 (operating in temps from -4 degrees to 86 degrees F) API or NMMA FC-W Classification SE,SF,SG,SJ. For temps below -15 degrees F use SAE or NMMA FC-W 5W-30.

The easiest thing to do is follow their recommendation and worry about other things of actual consequence.

Also, you own a boat.

So you don't really get to complain about maintenance fluid availability or cost.
Come on man, it's a hole on the water that you throw money into.

And you know this.

Last edited:
Walmart.com had Quicksilver 25w40 for $26 a jug … but getting low last time I looked …

That’s practically an FC*W mono … Merc being anti VM in formula …

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Walmart.com had Quicksilver 25w40 for $26 a jug … but getting low last time I looked …

In the clearance section for $17 a jug when i last looked.

Diesel oil will be superior to car oil. You will find a LOT of guys are using Rotella 15W40 or similar heavy duty engine oils in their 4 stroke marine engines.

Check your Wal-Mart. They clearanced out Quicksilver and Evinrude 25W40 marine oil. That would be a good buy if your store still has any.

http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-122220.html

Quote:
28-04-07, 10:37
Marine Diesels and other special considerations.
Inland Marine Diesels (and certain road vehicles under special conditions) can, and do, glaze their bores due the low cylinder wall temperature causing the oil (and more importantly the additive pack) to undergo a chemical change to a varnish-like substance. The low temperature is caused by operating under light load for long periods.
This is related to engine design, some engines being nearly immune to it and others susceptible. The old Sherpa van diesel engines were notorious for this problem. The "cure" such as it is, is to use a low API specification oil, such as CC. Certain engine manufacturers/marinisers are now marketing the API CC oil for this purpose under their own name (and at a premium). You'll find some modern engines where its' industrial/vehicle manual states API CF and the marinised manual states API CC/CD. {Thanks to Tony Brooks for this information.}

HDEO 15w40...25w40...20w50...

Just something that is not api SN...

Last edited:
ILSAC med/low HTHS oil are marginal under high load high rpm.

You may be safe with a 10-40 or 25w40 THAT IS ALSO acea a3 b4.

PLUS YOU JUST NEED A GOOD OIL. NOT ALL OILS ARE GOOD REGARDLESS OF THE API LABELING

The following was posted by a well respected member on here. I'd stick with FC-W approved oil:

"Look at the philosophy of Honda, who use the same basic engine for their cars and their outboards.

Car might well be specced for 0W20/5W20, but their outboards using the same basic engines call for a 10W30 that meets FC-W.

That spec calls for a post shear HTHS of 3.3

FC-W specs

So Honda are acknowledging that for the duty cycle of the same architecture in a boat, they want something more robust...

So I'd be reticent to run an ILSAC 5W30 in it (2.9-3.1 HTHS BEFORE use)...you could run 5W30/0W30 A3/B4, but they are
pricey here."

Last edited:
A3/B4...in sae30...I think that doesnt exist!

Hence...A3/B4 is for severe operating conditions/long drain...

Sae30 over here is reserved for ECO/Bio
smile.gif
fuel efficient oils (like your sae20 CAFE)

https://www.oilspecifications.org/acea.php

Every commercial marine business I have been to used a 15W-40 HDEO oil in their high speed diesel engines, gasoline inboards and out boards.No marketing claims just facts.

Sounds like I should strongly consider Rotella or Delo 15W-40 then. I may give that a try next time around.

Otherwise, I've just remembered there's a place locally that sells Yamalube in a 10W-40 for a cheaper price than the Suzuki stuff, and that would definitely be FC-W rated. Would that be fine to run in a Suzuki engine or no? How about Quicksilver 10W-40?

I ask because I've heard about some issues running non-Yamalube oil in a Yamaha, but that may pertain to older 2 cycle Yamahas with the premix, such as the older VMAX HPDI engines.

Yamalube, Quicksilver, and Rotella and Delo HDEOs are local and readily available to me, whereas I would have to make a 2+ hour drive for the genuine Suzuki stuff, and it also costs a fortune compared to the other possible options.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Here's what Suzuki says:
Quote:
The actual oil recommendation is: SAE or NMMA FC-W 10W-40 (operating in temps from 14 degrees to over 100 degrees F) or 10W-30 (operating in temps from -4 degrees to 86 degrees F) API or NMMA FC-W Classification SE,SF,SG,SJ. For temps below -15 degrees F use SAE or NMMA FC-W 5W-30.

The easiest thing to do is follow their recommendation and worry about other things of actual consequence.

Also, you own a boat.

So you don't really get to complain about maintenance fluid availability or cost.
Come on man, it's a hole on the water that you throw money into.

And you know this.

ah...we knew the tired old "its a boat, you spent a lot of money" and "you have bigger issues than oil to worry about" arguments. Can't ever do without those when picking an oil....lol

So would Yamalube or Quiksilver four cycle 5W-40 be safe to use in place of the OEM stuff? I will use that if that is the case since it's a lot easier to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back