Cut open- Donaldson DBL7349

Donaldson Blue DBL7349 off my deleted 6.7 Cummins. Ran for 10k OCI with Mobil Delvac 1 5W40 CJ-4.

Filter media looked pretty good, no tears or any metal particles seen by my eyes at least.

Put another Donaldson Blue on it this change and filled with Valvoline PBE 5W40.

Last edited:
Thank You!

The filter media has a LOT of depth filtration ability, like the much loved Fram Ultra series.

It is common knowledge these are same as AmsOil full-flow filters (different pain on the can)

Oddly enough.... the "HH" stamping on the baseplate looks like something Champion Labs would do.....

Originally Posted By: car51
Louvers look perfect. Thanks for post

Yes, they do look very good.
Has all oil filter manufacturers gone to louvers over holes? Or, are the manufacturers that haven't, slowly transitioning into using louvers?
Thanks for the C&P.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Isn't this the 10 or 15 micron filter? Good looking filter either way.

Yes, I believe it’s rated 98.7% @ 15 micron.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Where is the filter gasket?

It stuck to the housing base upon removal despite wiping the base and putting fresh oil on the gasket when installed. My Fleetguards did the same thing.

Very nice filter!
Internals look to copy a Fram Ultra, with the exception of the louvers and the spring.
I like!

It does look similar. Perhaps Fram copied Donaldson to a minor degree? It's the best form of flattery...

Yes, Donaldson pioneered the synthetic glass media for use in lube and air filtration. Fleetguard then followed suit with their own spin on it. The first passenger car filters employing Donaldson's novel technology were the AMSOIL EaO filters. Quite a while later, we saw other filters using a similar approach such as the WIX synthetic, Purolator Synthetic, Royal Purple, AC Delco UPF, FRAM Ultra...etc.

I posted some excerpts from a Fleetguard paper on it quite a while back now, but the idea was that the depth filtration media, when compared to surface filtration (cellulose) allowed for superior filtration performance and higher contaminant holding capacity all while improving flow.

I posted some excerpts from a Fleetguard paper on it quite a while back now, but the idea was that the depth filtration media, when compared to surface filtration (cellulose) allowed for superior filtration performance and higher contaminant holding capacity all while improving flow.

Yet, there are many who still think a more efficient filter media will "restrict flow" ... a misconception what will never die. :sneaky:

I used to work for Donaldson as a maintenance technician in the plant here in Auburn, Alabama. The location we have here makes the filtration and exhaust for John Deere, Caterpillar and CNH and they picked up work for Cummins just before I left to go work for Hyundai. They do make a quality product for sure.

Back