To change oil or not? PSD 6.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
The truck has been dropped off at the dealer for an oil change. 5w-40 synthetic. I appreciate the insight on this issue. A uoa would have been ideal. But I had another vehicle that had to go in for warranty work. It made too much sense to just drop it off to pick up the other truck. At least it will be good to go for when I need to haul my machine around and for camping. It hauls a large 5th wheel with a boat behind it. So peace of mind is needed in this case.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
This is a perfect situation for a UOA. Sending a sample will be less than OC, especially . If the oil is serviceable, no speculation will be able to say otherwise. This is a perfect thread to fit AZjeff's signature: Why know when you can guess?

Bingo, the right answer.

I have left oil in place for up to 5 years in seldom used trucks. There is no reason to change it. If not short tripped, they are mostly sealed from atmospheric conditions, so the worry about condensation is a not ... As long as the cooling rate did not hit just the right slope/rate, there is very little reason to worry about wax formation.

So do a UOA and you will know
smile.gif

My bet, is it's fine for another two years at least ...

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: Urshurak776
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
This is a perfect situation for a UOA. Sending a sample will be less than OC, especially . If the oil is serviceable, no speculation will be able to say otherwise. This is a perfect thread to fit AZjeff's signature: Why know when you can guess?

This. Only way to know for sure.

I have said this so many times as well ...

Why guess when you can know?

Becasue then we would have nothing to pound the keys about ...

The oil has been changed with 0w-40 this time. That’s what dealers around here are using now it seems. I could have went longer but the truck does occasionally get started and moved out of the garage to make room for other vehicles. Without a chance to fully warm up. So now I have fresh oil, just have to make a game plan for this truck that is barely used and out of warranty. Wish I could get a % read out on the oil life monitor to give me a better idea of what the computer is thinking.

Originally Posted By: advocate
The oil has been changed with 0w-40 this time. That’s what dealers around here are using now it seems. I could have went longer but the truck does occasionally get started and moved out of the garage to make room for other vehicles. Without a chance to fully warm up. So now I have fresh oil, just have to make a game plan for this truck that is barely used and out of warranty. Wish I could get a % read out on the oil life monitor to give me a better idea of what the computer is thinking.

You can just set it up and it will email the report to you and give % remaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back