Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum NOACK values

“If you honestly don't think the GTL process is different from refining crude oil, you're quite mistaken.“

Yes it is drastically different. The end result is still group 3 oil. I’m not dissing it, but rather saying that it’s not some miracle base. Besides, Chevron had the technology decades ago and I’m sure someone else before that.

Last edited:
There is no good reason to argue over GTL, PP vs PUP, all that … just run SuperTech and move on …

SASOL has the longest history of operating similar CTL technology which is closest to the original Nazi synthetic plants. SASOL also has a long history of industrial scale GTL plants.

The Pearl facility is unique in the volume of production dedicated to lubricating oil base stocks as well as fuels.

Is your opinion XOM VISOM is also just another Group III base stock?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Yes, but formulation has been GTL base stock (manufactured with PurePlus technology, Shell's name for their GTL process, not for any of their GTL plant products) for the 4 years or so mentioned in your original post. What evidence is there of formulation changes during the 4 or so years since the rollout of GTL base stock as standard to the introduction of D1G2?

My apologies, I took your earlier post to be referring to the time range covered in the OP. My bad!

According to PQIA PPPP 0W-20 2015 and PPPP 0W-20 2017 have identical formulations. So much about the 2014 data being outdated.

PQIA PCMO list

The formulation may have changed though if PPPP has decided to transition to Mg in dexos1 Gen 2/API SN Plus.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
According to PQIA PPPP 0W-20 2015 and PPPP 0W-20 2017 have identical formulations. So much about the 2014 data being outdated.

PQIA PCMO list

The formulation may have changed though if PPPP has decided to transition to Mg in dexos1 Gen 2/API SN Plus.

Point taken though if She’ll has not reformulated, (and we have uoa’s that they did) then they are way behind the eight ball.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Gokhan

PQIA PCMO list

Point taken though if She’ll has not reformulated, (and we have uoa’s that they did) then they are way behind the eight ball.

Of course, Shell does reformulate them when they announce that they have done so.

There was the major "PurePlus" reformulation in 2014 when they switched from Group III to GTL.

Late in 2017 they reformulated to dexos1 Gen 2 -- aka high-magnesium, high-moly.

Next month API SN Plus is coming but I think it will be only a label change, as it merely includes the LSPI test such as in dexos1 Gen2.

However, unlike some who criticized the 2014 PDS data being too old, there were no formulation changes between 2014 (PurePlus introduction) and 2017 (dexos1 Gen 2 introduction).

I like the high moly in dexos1 Gen 2 oils. In Pennzoil's case it's probably trinuclear moly since Infineum is owned by ExxonMobil and Shell. Too bad that HDEOs tend to be lower in moly and you lose some of the wear-protection benefits you gain from thicker base oils such as 15W-xx.

It's also interesting that boron has come back. I also noticed a dash of titanium.

PPPP 5W-30 dexos1 Gen 2 VOA

full-78708-15495-pennzoil.jpg

Originally Posted By: webfors
This makes me want PPPP 10w30 for summer!

Or if you live in the South or Southwest, you can use it year-round.
wink.gif
Hey Gokan, I’m in San Diego California. Recently bought a used 06 Scion tC with 115k miles. This is the 2.4L Toyota engine that is notorious for the oil burning. So I’ve been measuring how much oil it’s been burning and so far on the Pennzoil Platinum (non-ultra) 5W30 I’ve noticed about one quart in 1,500 miles. So according to the NOACK values that you posted, the pppp 10w30 at only 4.7% seems to be a great way to go. So my question is this, I’m looking for an easily accessible oil from places like Walmart that is gonna reduce this oil consumption on this engine but is safe to use even though I do drive this daily driver hard at times. The oil fill cap does recommend 5w30. Is this Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 that I’m considering perfectly safe to use in the 10w30 weight? Will it shorten the life span of my engine because? Is there a better low NOACK rated oil that is “Easily Accessible” and cheap that you would recommend over this Pennzoil Platinum pppp in the 10w30 weight?

for clarification here is a pic of which Pennzoil oil that I put in the engine on the last oil change which burned about one quart in 1,500 miles.

Attachments

• 05C6DA47-DE02-40DD-99E5-B429C45A1F9C.jpg
    05C6DA47-DE02-40DD-99E5-B429C45A1F9C.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 15
Hey Gokan, I’m in San Diego California. Recently bought a used 06 Scion tC with 115k miles. This is the 2.4L Toyota engine that is notorious for the oil burning. So I’ve been measuring how much oil it’s been burning and so far on the Pennzoil Platinum (non-ultra) 5W30 I’ve noticed about one quart in 1,500 miles. So according to the NOACK values that you posted, the pppp 10w30 at only 4.7% seems to be a great way to go. So my question is this, I’m looking for an easily accessible oil from places like Walmart that is gonna reduce this oil consumption on this engine but is safe to use even though I do drive this daily driver hard at times. The oil fill cap does recommend 5w30. Is this Pennzoil Platinum 10W30 that I’m considering perfectly safe to use in the 10w30 weight? Will it shorten the life span of my engine because? Is there a better low NOACK rated oil that is “Easily Accessible” and cheap that you would recommend over this Pennzoil Platinum pppp in the 10w30 weight?

for clarification here is a pic of which Pennzoil oil that I put in the engine on the last oil change which burned about one quart in 1,500 miles.
Hi there,

Yes, 10W-30 is perfectly safe in any car that specs 5W-30 as long as the temperatures don't fall way below freezing. It will not reduce the longevity of your engine.

As far as the oil consumption, your oil consumption is happening by transport (of the oil around the rings), not by evaporation (of the oil in the cylinders). Therefore, you will not see much benefit from going to 10W-30 or a lower-Noack oil.

You may want to try the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (available very cheap at Walmart and Costco) instead. It has polyol ester (POE), which will clean your rings and oil-return holes and may improve things a little. Its higher viscosity may also help. I am not saying that it will help, but give it a try and see if it does.

You may also want to see if you can find the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore and run it as a cleaning oil for the length of one whole OCI (10,000 miles).

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hi there,

Yes, 10W-30 is perfectly safe in any car that specs 5W-30 as long as the temperatures don't fall way below freezing. It will not reduce the longevity of your engine.

As far as the oil consumption, your oil consumption is happening by transport (of the oil around the rings), not by evaporation (of the oil in the cylinders). Therefore, you will not see much benefit from going to 10W-30 or a lower-Noack oil.

You may want to try the Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 (available very cheap at Walmart and Costco) instead. It has polyol ester (POE), which will clean your rings and oil-return holes and may improve things a little. Its higher viscosity may also help. I am not saying that it will help, but give it a try and see if it does.

You may also want to see if you can find the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore and run it as a cleaning oil for the length of one whole OCI (10,000 miles).

Good luck!
Thank you so much. Yes that will be the next oil I will try.

Hi there,

Good luck!
I’ve been looking for over an hour on the web for this Valvoline Premium Blue Restore. I can’t find it. Do you by chance have a link to a online retailer that is selling it?

I’ve been looking for over an hour on the web for this Valvoline Premium Blue Restore. I can’t find it. Do you by chance have a link to a online retailer that is selling it?
It may have been discontinued. Someone found it for a very cheap price on eBay the other day. It's a majority-POE oil with the rest being PAO and AN, which makes it very expensive (~ $20 a quart). It is normally found at truck stops or places where they sell truck supplies. There is a lot of discussion about it on BITOG. It is an OEM maintenance oil for Cummins semi engines to clean the piston deposits.

If you can't find it, try Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 for a couple of OCIs. It only has a small amount of POE, which dissolves carbon, but it may still help. I believe people here have also experimented with Sea Foam Motor Treatment.

It may have been discontinued. Someone found it for a very cheap price on eBay the other day. It's a majority-POE oil with the rest being PAO and AN, which makes it very expensive (~ $20 a quart). It is normally found at truck stops or places where they sell truck supplies. There is a lot of discussion about it on BITOG. It is an OEM maintenance oil for Cummins semi engines to clean the piston deposits.

If you can't find it, try Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 for a couple of OCIs. It only has a small amount of POE, which dissolves carbon, but it may still help. I believe people here have also experimented with Sea Foam Motor Treatment.
Roger that Gokhan! Thanks again for the quick response. Yeah I will definitely try the Mobil 1 FS 0w-40 on the next couple oil change. Also I’ll try giving an Italian tune up from time to time a try in an effort to help clean things up(a suggestion from another poster RateNate) RateNate did the Italian tune up with the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil and had good result. I will first try your suggestion and if that doesn’t do it I’ll try the PUP.

You could also try throwing Rislone Engine Treatment in whatever oil you have in the sump now. It has a sizable ester content and I often use it as a soft flush in older cars in the last few hundred miles of an OCI...

Back