F1 - 2018 Bahrain Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm an eternal optimist with Williams. I can see Paddy Lowe accomplishing some things there, given some time. This season would be a little too early for him to be at full effect, so I wasn't expecting a lot. As per usual, things are best for them (or anyone) when they're a works team. If Mercedes gets sick of things and goes back to only engines, or Renault, or even if Honda doesn't work out with Toro Rosso (and Red Bull by extension), well, who knows? Maybe if independent engines become feasible, that's another option.

I hope they stick with it, and it's almost impossible to imagine any other way since they've been there so long. Teams like Renault, MB, and even Ferrari are, as they say, one boardroom decision away from leaving F1. Williams is a little different. They've also fortunately been able to stay in the black, and do post their financial reports annually.

Generally speaking, with rules and tech and financing, I have no idea what the appropriate solution is, given there are so many unintended consequences. The biggest money teams, no matter how you spin the rules or the spending, will always have the advantage. They either spend until they realize their folly and leave, or get another idea into their heads and leave.

As for Liberty, payments to teams were cut, because they realized how much Formula 1 really was a one man operation, and how much work Bernie really did, which is astounding. They invested in infrastructure, hiring a lot of people to do what he did daily. As I've said before, Liberty are so lucky that Bernie isn't 30 years younger, or the talk and smoke blown about a competing series would be a legitimate threat.

I would love to be the fly on the wall in Chase Carey's office sometime. I wonder how many times he's realized they chased a madman out of a job, only to find out that being a madman is the first credential required for the job.
wink.gif

LOL. Well said! Looks like today is multi-car disaster for Red Bull ala Haas last time. On with the race...

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Brundle’s idea of a grid walk interview...” What’s the story?”

Robin Miller does better.

Robin Miller is right between the hyperactive of Will Buxton, and the laid-back of Martin Brundle.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Brundle’s idea of a grid walk interview...” What’s the story?”

I've mentioned here in years past he doesn't exactly ask any hardball questions. Of course, the snubs are almost nonexistent.

Hamilton did pretty well; I have to give him credit for that. Bottas should be thankful that Vettel didn't use the same tire choice as he did, or he'd have been watching Vettel take off into the distance through binoculars.

That poor mechanic must have a sore leg, to severely understate the case.

I wonder what Alonso and McLaren are thinking. The best driver in the world, with the best chassis in the world, got beaten by a second rate feeder team, with a rookie driver, and a GP2 engine. Alonso says F1 is too predictable. Was that on his crystal ball this morning?

I'm not getting this whole Sky thing. They ended up chopping off the last 8 minutes of Q-3 in qualifying. Then the race coverage was chopped off right after Vettel's interview. I'm not understanding why they can't time their coverage correctly? On the plus side, there wasn't a single commercial during the entire race. What's up with that? Is Ferrari's guy out of the hospital yet? They had nothing on that.

They need to go back to lollypop's and Speed Channel.

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Sound like your local again. We got the full uninterrupted Sky broadcast.

It no doubt is. But none of it ever happened with Speed Channel or MSNBC broadcasts. And it's not all their fault. The first race there was no announcer or camera movement for the first 20 minutes of the "Pre Race" show. It was as if the camera was sitting on a tripod turned on. And this time there was no pre race show period. It's clearly a case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. Now it looks like I'll have to set up my DVR to record an hour late for every qualifying session and race if I want to see the end of it. It's quickly becoming almost not worth the bother.

I do that as a matter of course. If it's a session I *really* want to see I'll queue up the next program as well for the rare event things run really over.

I forget now, but from memory it was a very wet race with multiple long red flags that ran so far over it overflowed the post race hour show and I had to wait for the next day replay to catch the end of the race. I've been a bit more cautious since.

I did much the same if a race looked like it was going to be delayed because of weather. But this is just bad communication between Sky and the cable companies who are all feeding off them. They appear to be a bit "bush league" in that regard.

We're lucky in that the show just pushes out as required. Unfortunately that doesn't adjust the program stop times in the dvr, so while we don't lose footage you can miss the end if it is being recorded.

It's interesting though. Crofty has a very definite "We're off to a break now" voice and I've heard that a number of times during quali and the race, so I wonder if they are cutting and shutting as required by the networks they feed?

That was a great race. It had everything we want to see: strategy, overtaking, contact/failures, and some out-of-sequence results.

What a job by Toro Rosso, GAS, and Honda. It was clear that by the last 3-4 races of 2017 Honda was getting their package sorted out and this, along with winter testing, is further confirmation of that.

Redemption for Haas. MAG drove a solid race and tied the team's best-ever finish of 5th. GRO didn't do himself or the team any favors by holding up MAG when he might've had a go at GAS for 4th, not good team play.

Good stuff between VET and BOT as differing strategies saw a large gap slowly close to tenths of a second by the end of the race.

For those of you who noticed the commercial-free broadcast on ESPN, you have Mother's Polishes to thank for that so think about going out and buying a bottle of something.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
For those of you who noticed the commercial-free broadcast on ESPN, you have Mother's Polishes to thank for that so think about going out and buying a bottle of something.

How did that come about? I knew Sky wasn't doing it for free, that's for sure.

I’m surprised there has been no mention of the pit accident with Ferrari. That was obviously a huge miscommunication somewhere in the process. Good to hear the mechanic is doing well after surgery for a broken tibia and fibula.

http://www.espn.com/f1/story/_/id/230866...gery-broken-leg

One might question Kimi’s concern as he bypassed the whole scene and went to his personal space. Sad to see the lack of concern on his part.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

One might question Kimi’s concern as he bypassed the whole scene and went to his personal space. Sad to see the lack of concern on his part.

I noticed that too, but then looking at it from a "just the facts ma'am" point of view, he was being looked after by the medical team and there was nothing Kimi could have contributed to the siruation but to get in the way.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

I noticed that too, but then looking at it from a "just the facts ma'am" point of view, he was being looked after by the medical team and there was nothing Kimi could have contributed to the siruation but to get in the way.

Point taken. I was just reminded of this on NBA opening night.

https://youtu.be/yWUtGqWh47c

Originally Posted By: billt460
Sound like your local again. We got the full uninterrupted Sky broadcast.

It no doubt is. But none of it ever happened with Speed Channel or MSNBC broadcasts. And it's not all their fault. The first race there was no announcer or camera movement for the first 20 minutes of the "Pre Race" show. It was as if the camera was sitting on a tripod turned on. And this time there was no pre race show period.

Our local didn't show FP2 this time, and I was peeved. Over the last few years, the coverage has been more consistent, with what's actually covered for pre and post shows. Nonetheless, Bill, you know more than enough about the sport to time your recordings better than the network can. All it takes are a couple red flags and things are going into extra time, so it might be worthwhile to allow for that. Romain and Max like to do things that drag out qualification.

Brad: With respect to Crofty's "We're off to a break now" voice, it does make me think we're getting a couple extra commercials that otherwise aren't happening to other carriers, on our TSN. Yes, we still get the live feed in a picture in picture (haven't said "picture in picture" in ages). Historically, the timing of those has been atrocious, with the first round of commercial breaks more often than not corresponding with the first car pitting. You can imagine how irate I would get over that. I'm pretty sure those were always the idea of TSN, with Crofty or Brundle (or Edwards or Coulthard before on the BBC days) getting cut off in mid-sentence.

With respect to Kimi, we have no idea what he did after. He might have gone to the hospital and read him stories all night, for all we know. At the time, it was prudent to get out of there. The pitlane was open, and there was concern over safety as it was. I'm sure there was consideration given to closing the pitlane. Now, what would happen to Ferrari or Kimi if he were languishing around a pit box during a race, out of his vehicle, in either an open or closed pit lane? I don't know the rule off hand, and I doubt Kimi did either, and I'm sure he didn't want to find out the hard way. Kimi's not a physician or EMT, and not yet the medical car driver, so anything he would do there would be in the way of the people helping, or in the way of other teams potentially doing stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back