2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L Oil Consumption Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me being a good boyfriend and oil fanatic, I enjoy servicing my girlfriends car. I had changed the oil and filled with Chevron Supreme 5W20 and topped off with M1 0W20. Didn't think the engine would consume much, but I was wrong. Currently getting close to 5000mi on the current fill. She mentioned a few weeks ago that the car was making a noise but didn't know what it was, sucker was low on oil! I ended up adding almost two quarts of whatever I had sitting in my car. I checked again this past weekend and it was a whole quart low this time! I'm getting ready to change it again, thinking of of switching to a 5w30 syn and keep using the Carquest 85334 filter I get at cost from work. Car only has about 57k miles on it.

Even my 31 year old BMW consumes less oil than her Hyundai
confused.gif

Those cars like the oem oil filter. I'd get a few jugs of Fomula Shell 5w30 at Home Depot for $9.88. Not sure if that sale is still going on or not. It may end up using more of the full syn oil.

Just checked - on sale till 4/15. And it's a 5 qt. jug. Good for 5w30 and 10w30 only. In your area that will be perfect.

Last edited:
The owners manual allows for 5w30 and 10w30.

Run some 10w30 and keep a closer eye on it.

Mine uses 1 quart every 5k miles.

Also, are you waiting to check the oil after the cars been turned off? You aren't supposed to shut the engine off and run over and check the oil, it won't read accurately on the dipstick.

What an non-subaru engine that burns oil.. didnt know they existed.. according to bitog
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand
What an non-subaru engine that burns oil.. didnt know they existed.. according to bitog
smile.gif

It's those pesky DI engines causing all the problems.
If you're gonna have DI, at least make it DUAL fuel delivery
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: Rand
smile.gif

It's those pesky DI engines causing all the problems.
If you're gonna have DI, at least make it DUAL fuel delivery
thumbsup2.gif

And add a carburetor on top to keep the intake runners clean
laugh.gif

Quote:
Those cars like the oem oil filter. I'd get a few jugs of Fomula Shell 5w30 at Home Depot for $9.88. Not sure if that sale is still going on or not. It may end up using more of the full syn oil.

Just checked - on sale till 4/15. And it's a 5 qt. jug. Good for 5w30 and 10w30 only. In your area that will be perfect.

I'll check my local HD after I get off otherwise I'll fill with some Chevron 10w30. Don't think I can get the OEM filter locally unless from the stealership, any alternatives?

Quote:
Also, are you waiting to check the oil after the cars been turned off? You aren't supposed to shut the engine off and run over and check the oil, it won't read accurately on the dipstick.

Got doggit. Checking it when it's off is all I know. My bmw doesn't care which way I do it haha.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
57K miles, little late to do anything about the ring seal. Does she do lots of highway cruising?

Well she lives almost in New Orleans, she hops on i10 for maybe 10 minutes to and from school (grad school). I'd say more city driving, she hates the interstate, shes a country girl.

I topped it off with a little MMO and m1 5w20 EP I had on hand. Figure the rings are dirty. I give that car [censored] when I get my hands on it in an attempt to get some junk loose in the engine.

If the GF is the original owner, she has powertrain warranty for 100K miles. If she's not the original owner, she has less than 3,000 miles to make her case with Hyundai about the oil consumption. Time could be short.

Something is not making sense here. She drive 10 minutes to and from school, hates driving on freeways and yet she has 57000 miles on a 2017 Hyundai?

My guess; oil is not being checked often, running wrong filters, leaking, etc. What are the OCI?

Fishing.

Capacity: 4.9 Qt. with filter
I run 5W30 in mine
Read the manual and instruct her to do the same especially the part on checking and changing oil.
Normal service: Change at 7,500 miles
Severe service: Change oil at 3,750 miles
Check for leaks
More than 1 Qt/5,000 mile usage is not normal.
Have dealer check it before warranty runs out.
New warranty: 10 years or 100,000 miles
Used warranty: 6 years or 60,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Something is not making sense here. She drive 10 minutes to and from school, hates driving on freeways and yet she has 57000 miles on a 2017 Hyundai?

My guess; oil is not being checked often, running wrong filters, leaking, etc. What are the OCI?

Fishing.

She bought the car used with about 46k on it. I she goes to her parents house (3 hour trip) and visits me (2 hour trip). I personally have been checking it, but I am not always able to do it when I’m with her.

Originally Posted By: MParr
Capacity: 4.9 Qt. with filter
I run 5W30 in mine
Read the manual and instruct her to do the same especially the part on checking and changing oil.
Normal service: Change at 7,500 miles
Severe service: Change oil at 3,750 miles
Check for leaks
More than 1 Qt/5,000 mile usage is not normal.
Have dealer check it before warranty runs out.
New warranty: 10 years or 100,000 miles
Used warranty: 6 years or 60,000 miles.

Okay that reminds me she bought a warranty with the car. I’ll read over it soon as I can.

Sorry to hear OP,
That engine wasn't broken-in properly. I would bump up to 10W-30. I've never had consumption or dilution issues with my Hyundai but i've also never gone past 5K miles. Consumption isn't unheard of though.

Still under warranty by Hyundai*

Get it checked before the 60k warranty ends.

Additional - I've had engines change consumption (more or less) just by using a different oil of same grade. Sometimes takes a couple fills to settle out.

add - My Hyundai 2.4L DD I've been using Pennzoil for nearly the last 100k (getting ready to hit 150k now). Doing 5k OCIs and never have to add any oil. Uses almost 1/8 of a quart sometimes in 5k. Back early a few fill of M5k it was using almost a half quart per 5k. At one time I changed to Kendall and was about the same. Then PYB around the 50k mark have stuck to it except there was a couple fills on PP. At first I was using 5w-20 (fill cap recommendation), then 5w-30 for summer triple digit temps.

Co-worker with same year make & model & engine is using Castrol and uses just less than a quart. I think he does 7k OCIs.

While at it check PCV valve. Under $10 on Amazon - for mine.

girlfriends 13 2.5L DI malibu sucked 3 qts of the spec 5-20 dexos I 5-20 oil when new, but living in Pa switching to 10-30 cured it, but checked the other day at 4,xxx on the oil + 50,xxx on the car it was down a qt, it was only taking a qt yearly about 10,xxx miles. hoping that oil is not going on the valves!!! not good for the cats either!!! manufacturers generally anything less than a qt in a thousand is NORMAL!!!! because its their $$$$$$. other factors these days are very low tension for what else MPG's to meet the EPA's unrealistic requirements!!! manufacturers are said to get fined $$$$ if EPA is not met!!

Last edited:
* Ditto ... 57K miles on a '17 Hyundai already ?? ... No issues or oil usage with my same 2017 Hyundai at all !!
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back