Basement vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my basement there is this cold/fresh air vent to the outside. Assuming it’s just a fresh air intake (passive) but the outside cover broke off and I’m having a tough time finding what the heck it’s callled. Browsing menards I only found dryer vent covers, some which might work but I’m not 100 percent. Any tips?

Last edited:
That right there is what we in the business call a thingamajig.

I believe Menards lists it as either a "whachakalit" or a "whosiewatsit".

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
That right there is what we in the business call a thingamajig.

I believe Menards lists it as either a "whachakalit" or a "whosiewatsit".

Chicken wire?

you could maybe fit a roof vent in that square opening. Just trim back the mount flange to fit under the retainer ring

Last edited:
Our house has two similar intakes, one is for the (wood burning) fireplace and the other is for the furnace. I'm going to guess it is one or the other. Since it appears to be low to the ground I'll say it is for the furnace since the fireplace intake is higher up for me. Trace it out in the basement and see where it leads.

OP,

remove screws
take the cover out
patch hole with duct tape
dump some ammonia around the area (just in case the friendly neighborhood skunk/raccoon wants inside)
take cover with you in car
drive to Menards
buy some snacks
admire the nice girl in @$#%@# (wife smacks back of head)
talk to ac/dryer guys
find cover piece
pay for cover piece
drive home
oh snap. forgot piece
drive back
find piece.
bring piece to car
drive home
pull duct tape
put screws back....
Oh snap. Junior misplaced 1
search in big jar of random screws
find good screw 1. it is just a different color. shhhh, the missus is not looking
smile
go drink a cold one
get on the couch
oh snap. you (and your happy feet) found the missing screw. and couple legos
I'm finished for today. I'm tired!
Home ownership is not for sissies.

Disclaimer: That may be or not based on real life events.

Last edited:
It’s just a pipe that goes into the basement and has an open end that’s why I call it a fresh air intake. Need to find both a screen as well as some type of cover or louver as that’s the windward side of the house.

Pandus, I think you nailed it.

Why would a basement need a fresh air vent? (We don't have basements here)

Couldn't you just block it off?

Yes, it is a fresh air intake, in the HVAC business, we called them make up air, had to put these in beauty shops because of all that hair color chemicals you smell in beauty shops,,it was the law when I was in the business in Florida.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
...it was the law when I was in the business in Florida.

[off-topic]
why did you retire to TN?
[/off-topic]

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I have also never seen one. Now if a furnace wants an air intake, it goes directly to the furnace, not the whole basement.

Now crawlspaces do seem to be vented.

The location seems close to the ground. Wouldn’t that be a bad idea for a intake in snowy Michigan? Not to mention rain getting in from direction or ground splash. If not taken care of, the varmints will find their way in if they haven’t already done so.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I have the same thing in mine. Basically there's 3 boilers and 3 hot water heaters down there. They need air for combustion and it's too small for just the regular air leaks so they put in that vent for make up air.

So chicken wire is close. Home Depot might have a better mesh as the holes for chicken wire might be too big.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-4...231EB/205960850

Had one of these in a house I owned in Minnesota in the 1980s. It went from outside to the room in the lower level that the furnace was in. Was told it's because homes were being built more air tight and this made sure fresh air would get in to the HVAC system. AS far as covering the vent I think a fine mesh screen would work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back