Dodge Caravan Power Steering Hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to change the power steering reservoir on a 2003 Dodge Caravan. The large diameter ( about 1/2 inch ID ) return line is "welded" to the original plastic reservoir after 15 years of underhood temperatures. A replacement power steering hose is 107 dollars so I am trying to reuse the existing hose. Any suggestions on how to remove this hose without damaging it? I have tried working a thin flat screwdriver and icepick between the plastic fitting and the hose. Would a hair dryer help?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

There's a tool meant for this. It's similar to what you've been using but is basically an ice pick that hooks backwards. Might be worth the $10 to try one.

4521_1557_0.jpg

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO POSTED. I got a pick set at Harbor Freight and was able to work the hose off. Trav, I did not get to use the WD 40 as the connection was leaking a lot of PS fluid which helped lubricate things. Anyway, I am back on the road and the power steering whine has gone from " Cat in a clothes dryer " to a low hum.

I will do a couple drain and fills with ATF+4 and take a long test drive before taking any long trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back