Aftermarket wheel lug torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought some MB wheels that look like this for the car’s summer tires. Assuming it’s alloy. Does the wheel lug torque of the oem steelies change when putting these on? 80 ft/lbs is what they call for normally. Am I right in alloy usually has lower torque?

I just was looking at those wheels on DT. Did you get the install kit for $40 or so which is just wheel lugs?

Yes I got wheel lugs and centric rings. All the lugs now use a key that’s 19mm. Also came with 4 extra wheel lugs

Sweet, if you can post pics when you have them mounted that would be great to see.
thumbsup2.gif

Good catch on the lug bolts. My w123 came with different length ones depending on if it had steel or alloy rims. If I used the wrong ones they'd either go all the way through the hub and catch on stuff or not get enough threads engaged to be safe.

I have bought two sets of tires and wheels from DTD (both times MB Wheels). Both times DTD included recommended torgue for the lugs on the paperwork I received and it matched the owners manual recommendation for the car. YMMV

lugs are specific to wheels as seats + or length can vary. i always torque OE + some alloy wheel manufacturers recommend a retorque after 100 miles!

When I bought my last set of wheels, there was an instruction sheet indicating they should be tightened to 85-105 ft lbs. I believe that sheet came from Tirerack. Pretty much what I do is use a wrench and just put my foot on it and lean into it. I have noticed with aftermarket lugs, I often have to retighten them after the first drive any time I remove them and put them back on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back