2011 Ram 1500 5.7 297,443km 30,000km OCI Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 Ram 5.7 Hemi, towing 6,000lbs most of the time, I sampled half way through the interval, but the filter was never changed
trucks currently at 297,443km went 30,000km on this oil change its the longest we have gone so far

Truck was running Amsoil 5w20 Signature Series, and A EaO 11 fiter for 30,000km

Not too bad for the usage. The TBN is fantastic for the time/distance; how much make-up oil was added (if any)?

Anything you can do for the silicon? Looks like it runs a bit high in each sample. I would assume it's another oil patch truck and maybe lots of dust in the air, and you most likely keep watch of air intake; but maybe there's another air filter to try?

Silicon seems like its always high for some reason, but If you look at the sample I took half way through the silicon doesn't climb much so maybe its a additive in the oil?
currently using a Napa Gold air filter I am going to try OEM for the next OCI

TBN is great. Since you are towing, you definitely need to switch to a 5w30, since iron is high.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deven
Oxidation and Sulfation is high and thickened a bit. I'd get an oil and stick to 10,000 miles max.

This oil has high Sulfation and Oxidation numbers out of the jug. You'd get an oil?
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: John_Dude
TBN is great. Since you are towing, you definitely need to switch to a 5w30, since iron is high.

Yeah I think I will be switching to a 5w30 diesel oil down the road to test out.

5W20 inadequate for towing ?
Yep, xW30/40 could be more appropriate here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DustinC
Oxidation and Sulfation is high and thickened a bit. I'd get an oil and stick to 10,000 miles max.

This oil has high Sulfation and Oxidation numbers out of the jug. You'd get an oil?
confused.gif

k
You have a VOA with sulfation and oxidation that says it has high values for both? Anything over 50 is considered too high according to a former member here who translates UOA for a living. Choose a particular oil but IMO would not go over 10,000 miles.

Silicon seems like its always high for some reason, but If you look at the sample I took half way through the silicon doesn't climb much so maybe its a additive in the oil?
currently using a Napa Gold air filter I am going to try OEM for the next OCI

Yeah the second half of the latest oci shows an enormous improvement in silicon (PPM/hour in use). Any chance the filter has been in awhile and is now much more efficient? If that air filter has some life left in it (allowing continued use) you may see much lower silicon and iron in future reports.

Regardless of the grade of oil used, if you could lessen the sand paper effect of the silicon, the results should look much better. Maybe some sort of pre-filter could be put in? (Like a piece of foam air filter stuffed in under the standard paper). Don't know if that could be done, but it could be helpful if so.

confused.gif

k
You have a VOA with sulfation and oxidation that says it has high values for both? Anything over 50 is considered too high according to a former member here who translates UOA for a living. Choose a particular oil but IMO would not go over 10,000 miles.

Yes the VOA was over 50, its just this signature series oil that seems to read like that, the lab says its nothing to worry about, wear treads are no better or worse the longer the oil is ran so I see no benefit in doing 10k oci

Last edited:
Oxidation in the VOA is mostly from the ester content. The towing and viscosity increase shows tell me that the oil experienced a lot of heat. Do you have an oil temp. gauge?

Originally Posted By: JAG
Oxidation in the VOA is mostly from the ester content. The towing and viscosity increase shows tell me that the oil experienced a lot of heat. Do you have an oil temp. gauge?

I'm not quite sure I know my 2014 has one but I never drive this truck, someone could have thrown some 15w40 in at some point to as most of the fleet is diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back