2016 Audi S4 19,200 Miles - Castrol Edge 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do about 80% city driving and 20% highway driving as my work is 4 miles away from home. Try my hardest to always take the long way to work and home to get the engine oil temps as high as possible. Needless to say, I’m probably in the category of “severe driving conditions” and why I am changing the oil midway what Audi recommends.

Pretty happy with the results and like how the oil is easily obtainable at my local Wally World. Will be sticking with this oil for the long run. Will be curious to see how the next oil analysis results will come back using he same oil. I recently went EPL Stage 1 ECU and TCU tune.

Oils Used:
- Most recent oil - Castro Edge Titanium 0w-40
- Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w-40
- Mobil 1 0w-40
- Factory Fill

- Sent by my iPhone

bj1BqpX.jpg

Wear looks good. Some dilution or shearing also occurred since your vicosity at cSt 100° dropped. But it didn't appear to harm anything.

Good metal wear rates.
Used oil is still serviceable, OCI could probably be further extended despite operating under severe conditions.

Originally Posted By: zeng
Is there an error on low temperature cranking viscosity specs ?

Yeah, that first W chart looks funky and the second one looks right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: CrazyJeeper
- Sent by my iPhone

Is it iPhone that's auto correcting Castrol to Castro?

Can't go wrong with some Fidel in your pan! LOL
grin.gif

Going back to the FF oil, interesting how low the Ca detergents are, and I guess the high boron boosts cleaning enough. They are using Low-SAPS euro style oil in a gasoline engine in the U.S. Therefore, they must assume U.S. gasoline is low sulphur now.
No moly in the FF, like the new VW Golf FF oil we saw recently.

Impressive how the iron wear rates settled down so fast. Audi must use great surface hardening, coatings, and/or surface finishing techniques to do this.

I wouldn't at all be concerned about the lowered (vii shearing + fuel dilution) KV100 viscosity. Engine designers knew it would do this and made the bearings with enough area to handle a little reduction. This would only be an issue if you were racing it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
- Sent by my iPhone

Is it iPhone that's auto correcting Castrol to Castro?

Possibly but if you correct the entry to Castrol, iOS learns and adds the word to the vocabulary.

I'll fix the spelling, at least in the title, just for people that want to do a search under Castrol in the future.

EDGE 0W-40 is good stuff. As proven over and over again in the UOA section. I’ll have another EDGE UOA coming in a few months.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
EDGE 0W-40 is good stuff. As proven over and over again in the UOA section. I’ll have another EDGE UOA coming in a few months.

Heck ya. I think you may remember my last UOA when it was for the Motul X-Cess. You recommended the Edge stuff and I think i'm permanently sold of this stuff. wink

Originally Posted By: 4WD
What was price delta between Edge and Motul?

Last time I purchased a case of 12 of the Motul X-Cess 5w-40, it was $102.65. The price hasn't changed in the last 8 months or so from what it looks like. I can buy a 5 quart jug of the Castrol Edge stuff for $28.00.

Motul = $8.55/qt
Castrol price per quart = $5.60/qt. Castrol is ~34% cheaper.

I'm saving a few bucks and i'm yielding the same UOA results, if not better. Most importantly, the convenience and availability of Castrol at my local Wally World.

Definitely has the edge (sorry) in that comparison !

This has come up in numerous “boutique debates” and more recently the mid priced lubes have been questioned …

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Heck ya. I think you may remember my last UOA when it was for the Motul X-Cess. You recommended the Edge stuff and I think i'm permanently sold of this stuff. wink

Yep I remember. Glad it worked out for you. Motul is good oil but I’d say Castrol beats it in performance and at almost half the price. I just bought some at $21 a jug!

Last edited:
Good looking report!

I guess every brand with DI turbo engines has dilution issues. Hard to imagine running these oils out to the mfr recommend interval.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Good looking report!

I guess every brand with DI turbo engines has dilution issues. Hard to imagine running these oils out to the mfr recommend interval.

My engine is supercharged though.

Good looking report!

The report states TFSI.

Regardless, forced induction DI, regardless of the mechanism, has the same dilution challenges.

That car must be a dream to drive.

Good looking report!

The report states TFSI.

Regardless, forced induction DI, regardless of the mechanism, has the same dilution challenges.

That car must be a dream to drive.

Audi’s infinite wisdom in badging this engine “TFSI” even though it’s supercharged. The nomenclature is also on the plastic engine cover.

The car was nice to drive, but it’s seriosuly a hoot now that I have a Stage 1 tune from EPL. Also did the DSG tune as well. Really woke up the car.

Current specs:
- Eurocode Alu Kreuz subframe brace
- 034 Rear swaybar
- 034 Transmission mount insert
- ECS Tuning drivetrain inserts
- AWE Tuning silicon intake tube with stock airbox and filter
- Brembo GT 380mm BBK
- Zimmermann Sport rear rotors with Hawk HPS 5.0 pads
- EPL Stage 1 tune
- EPL DSG Tune
- HRE FF01 19x9.5 wheels
- Michelin Pilot Super Sports