Belt drive protectant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering if anyone has used some kind of drive belt dressing that will help with UV degradation. Since I've moved to southern Arizona I've noticed that my belt is degrading much faster than when I lived up north in the Pacific NW. The machine is a 2008 Buell XB12Ss.

IMO applying a dressing to a good belt will do more harm than good. I have a feeling shorter belt life is going to be a fact of life where you're living now.

I have never seen or heard of such a product. Its been my experience that belts are better off when left alone free from coolants, soaps, solvents, dressing, etc.

Yep, the side that cracks tends to be where it rides the pulleys and don’t want chemicals on that.
All they need is a flashlight to inspect once in a while … and a Napa (or?) to get a new one …

I've heard of guys using Aerospace 303 on their belts. My belts last long enough for me, so I haven't tried it.

Although I haven't tried it personally, there are a few Youtube videos of guys who soaks drive belts in Aerospace 303, and claims that this makes the belts last "hundreds of thousands of miles" with no cracking. Here is one of the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRXkt6Dgi4k

As EdwardC has said, my belts last plenty long, typically lasting well over 150k miles before looking like they need replacement. So unless I had a car with a belt that is very difficult to get to, I don't see see this as something I would worry about. For me.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it just be the higher ambient temps in Arizona, and hence higher engine bay temps that lead to shorter belt life?

How do UVA rays get through the metal hood of a car? If a hood is made of transparent glass, then definitely yes.

For people commenting on engine accessory drive belts, this is in the Motorcycle section. The topic is the final drive belt on a Buell XB12S.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I have never seen or heard of such a product. Its been my experience that belts are better off when left alone free from coolants, soaps, solvents, dressing, etc.

A few YouTube videos purport silicone protectants on serpentine belts will make them last forever. One even recommends dunking a belt in 303 and that this will be the last belt you will ever replace! Perhaps this YouTube "advice" is meant for MC drive belts, too?

Originally Posted By: willbur
Originally Posted By: Trav

A few YouTube videos purport silicone protectants on serpentine belts will make them last forever. One even recommends dunking a belt in 303 and that this will be the last belt you will ever replace! Perhaps this YouTube "advice" is meant for MC drive belts, too?

MC drive belts are put under much more stress than under hood belts.
I thought that one of the pluses of a drive belt on a bike was longevity (like 100,000 miles)???

That is what has been touted by the manufacturer (regarding belt life); the belt is supposedly good for the life of the bike. Clearly, this is not true. My motorcycle is garaged every night, but at 35,000 miles the belt is looking bad. The toothed side of the drive belt isn't cracked like the backside, but whoever mentioned heat being the culprit is probably right. It's not the UV. I was just interested in applying something to the backside of the belt (the exposed, flat portion that rides on the tensioner) to help keep it from cracking - the belts are expensive (around $200) and my original belt has lasted about 10 years (not bad, I guess).

If the cracks are substantial I would just replace the belt... 10yrs and 35k miles for $200 is not bad considering typical chain/sprocket life. However, that said, my '86 Kawasaki EN450 is still rocking the original belt and it looks basically new besides a brownish patina.

The area you're in now has much higher ozone during a given period of time. Ozone degrades rubber.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I've heard of guys using Aerospace 303 on their belts. My belts last long enough for me, so I haven't tried it.

Have heard the same - 303 being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back