tire mounting lube

Status
Not open for further replies.
For many years I've mounted my tires using a tad of Murphy's oil soap and water as lube. I've seen posts lately where the general opinion is that using any kinda soap is a bad idea. What do you use?

I get this stuff from NAPA in a gallon jug. Has the NAPA name on it, can't remember the exact name. Something "GLYDE" I think, they call it "tire soap", I can tell you later when I get home. It's cheap and lasts a long time. I put it in a spray bottle and take it with me when I take my dirt bikes out. I also use it at home since I have a Harbor Freight tire changer for my street bike. Makes a huge difference when changing tires.

I know there are other types out there but I can't find them. I use this stuff because NAPA carries it locally. I've seen a paste that works really well, been looking for it for some time but haven't found it.

Murphy's makes a "Tire and Tube Mounting Concentrate" which is supposed to work very well according to my buddy who has used it.
The other item I've used is Ru-Glyde, a commercial tire mounting compound.
I've seen "Build or Bust" and "American Chopper" episodes where the boys are using WD40 as a tire mounting lube but most folks I know advise against using any petroleum product due to long term effects on the tire and semi-permanent lubed tire/wheel surfaces.

Y'all don't laugh but I use K-Y (actually the Walmart generic equivalent). I mount all my own motorcycle tires and this stuff works the best. Keep a spray bottle of water handy to keep it wet.

Yeah that's it. The stuff I use is called Ru-Glyde. Its a lot more cost effective than anything else suggested.

Water is a no no also. It can cause rot.

Ru-Glyde works awesome and its cheap. I ride dirt so I'm changing tires all the time. Definately worth it. My friends come over to my place to change their tires too. I bought my jug a year ago and still have a bunch left.

quote:

Originally posted by Huhwhye:

Water is a no no also. It can cause rot.

Dammit! I'll have to stop riding in the rain now
lol.gif

I use a Dawn soap and water mix (sparingly) most of the time from a spray bottle, but I've tried WD40 as well. We sometimes only get a couple hundred miles on our tires anyway and sometimes as much as maybe 800 miles and then they're worn past where we want them, particularly the rear tires. Soap and water has been working just fine for me for over 30 years of riding, most of which is off road. Our family alone goes through ~12+ tires a year, not including the tires I change for friends and other people and I change every single one of them myself. Maybe using the gels and special soaps are easier and I'll have to give them a try sometime, but I've got a system that's been working quite well for me and I have no complaints, especially when I see other people struggeling to change their tires when its just not that big of deal for me whether its a Maxis IT or a D606 or a Kenda Carlsbad, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back