Firefox Q?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently downloaded Firefox onto my laptop. It's a very good browser. But, I have some concerns and Q?'s.

First, when I logged onto BITOG, it read that is was unsafe, or something like that. What's that all about?

Second, sometimes when I'm sitting here and just surfing the interweb, with the volume on mute, I hear a short, very low toned, beeping sound coming from my laptop. Sometimes, after the beeping sound, I hear a very faint "CLICK" sound. What's that all about?

I have NEVER heard ANYTHING like this from ANY other browser I have ever used on my laptop. Is it possible this copy of Firefox is MALICIOUS? Any help, suggestion, or opinions, are greatly appreciated. Thank You.

I've never heard anything and the safe thing is probably tracking which you can enable. Plug ins are nice. Adblock Plus, Ghosterly and uBlock Origin are what I'm running.

The last version of FF 59.02 screwed something up so I went back to 58.02. Make sure you go into the options to see what you may want to change and if you really want to mess things up type about:config in the address bar.

Last edited:
Uninstall it and download Firefox again from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
Nowhere else.

The sound though, I think is your laptop speaker picking up wireless interference and you just happen to hear it while using the browser. Do you have cordless phones? Or a cellphone? Put it next to your laptop and have someone call the device and listen for the interference sounds right before the phones ring.

Originally Posted By: ruhroh
Uninstall it and download Firefox again from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/
Nowhere else.

The sound though, I think is your laptop speaker picking up wireless interference and you just happen to hear it while using the browser. Do you have cordless phones? Or a cellphone? Put it next to your laptop and have someone call the device and listen for the interference sounds right before the phones ring.

WOW! Isn't that ironic! My cell phone sets right next to my laptop. I "HAVE" heard that sound a few seconds before my phone has rang. I couldn't figure it out until you mentioned this. Thank You Sir.
Also, Thank You for the link.
smile.gif

At the top of your Firefox browser are things like File, Edit, View.....etc. Click on Tools and open Add-Ons. Inside there you can disable any Firefox Add-Ons and that will disable Firefox Safe Searches on the web.

If your phone isn't making the weird sounds from your computer, open Personalization in the Programs list and click on 'Sounds'. You may find the culprits/weird sounds listed in there.

I downloaded the link and did what Triple7's suggested. When I went there, there was an option to REFRESH FIREFOX. I did that and along with the new link download, my Firefox browser is working great.
QP, I was told by a friend to GOOGLE Firefox and download it, which I did. It was an older version.
Thanks to all here that helped me.
smile.gif

I have used Firefox for years. I think I have never heard it make any clicks whatsover. Just to be safe download uBlock Origin (better than adblock because adblock lets ads appear if they pay for it) and you can download more privacy extensions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
First, when I logged onto BITOG, it read that is was unsafe, or something like that. What's that all about?

Didn't know Firefox had a built in site troll detector.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

Didn't know Firefox had a built in site troll detector.
laugh.gif

That's it! You're absolutely, positively, bonkers! You don't need a straight jacket.........YOU NEED 2!
grin.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
spankme2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back