Thoughts on Phillips 66 Guardol ECT

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Phillips 66 Distributor will sell me bulk 15W40 and 10W30 Guardol ECT for a very low price. I used to do business with them for many years when I owned Ford diesel pickups back in the 80s and 90s.

I'll be using it in my Semi Truck with a pre-epa 12.7 liter Detroit Series 60 motor. I'm nearing 350,000 miles on the odometer, and I initially used 15W40 Mobil Delvac Super 1300, and 10W30 Mobil Elite. At around the 170,000 mile mark I switched to Chevron Delo 15W40 SDE and 10W30 XLE. My motor showed no difference between these two brands in the UOAs I've had done.

Guardol meets DDC's 93K222 approval for my engine, so no worries there.

The reason I'm asking is I've heard other Truckers advise sticking with the same brand of oil. And if changing brands is o.k.(?), are Guardol HDEOs comparable to Chevron Delo HDEOs?

Everyone's thoughts are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I don't think switching brands is an issue. I do it every oil change. It may consume a slight amount of the new oil at first.

Thank you, Chris!
I've been using different brands, including Phillips Trop Artic, in my '97 Ford pickup with a 460 V8 since I bought it new, and I've never noticed a problem, either.

I truly don't think switching brands is detrimental in my Semi, either. Probably just an old wives tale. When I'm around fellow Truckers, I typically have my "Grain of salt" filter set at maximum.
smile.gif

I just noticed Guardol ECT is a semi-synthetic, so the price my Distributor is giving me is even a better deal than I initially thought.
smile.gif

As far as Delo, Rotella, and Delvac conventional 15W40 HDEOs are concerned, my uneducated opinion is they're all very similar in performance. I have never seen Phillips 66 HDEOs in Truck Stops, although Kendall XDA is available at some, and it's a Conoco-Phillips brand. For all I know, Guardol ECT and Kendall XDA are the exact same oil in different containers.

I dont think you can buy a bad 15w40 oil. I occasionally deliver trusses for the place across the street. I did a L.O.F. on the truck last December and it got 8 gallons of Pep Boys Proline 15w40.

Originally Posted By: stoan
Good looking oil, I'd like to try it myself. Here is a VOA. It's the same stuff, they put some in red bottles, some in silver.

http://pqiadata.org/Kendall_SuperD_XA_15W40.html

Thank you, Sloan! I downloaded the latest PDS for Guardol ECT after looking at PQIA's VOA. It looks like the TBN is now a smidge higher. It's volatility rate is pretty much par with the Big 3's as well. I carry four 2.5 gallon oil jugs under my bunk, along with my oil and fuel filters. I get my PMs done on the road at Petro/TA truck stops, and they charge me around $56.00 for labor. When I'm home for off time, I take my oil jugs to my Distributor, and they refill them. They quoted me under $11.00 per gallon. The folks at my Conoco-Phillips Distributor are really nice people. Lots of Farmers buy from them, and I enjoy hanging around "Down Home" people. I buy my oil and fuel filters in bulk locally from a Detroit shop, and they charge me a very reasonable price for Detroit filters, which I believe are made by Donaldson.

As you can tell, I've turned into a bit of a "Bean Counter", since I became an Owner-Operaror.:)

I'm carrying Delo 400 15W40 SDE under the bunk, so I'm going to send a UOA in, then switch to Guardol ECT. I've contacted Terry Dyson at Dyson Analysis. I'm going to use him for UOA's in the future. When I talked with him on the phone, he told me pretty much the same thing Chris said, that all of the Major Companies put out great products. I'm excited to see how this all looks in the future, working with Mr. Dyson.

BTW, please keep to comments coming, folks!

Phillips 66 Guardol is an excellent choice for your truck and if you're getting a good deal on it, by all means get it. Switching between brands isn't a concern like it used to be, back in the 60s-70s, etc. Oils today are so much better and because of the specs they have to meet, they aren't different enough to cause a problem and especially since you've run a quality oil for the first part of it's life, you're not gonna have an oil related problem.

Originally Posted By: Big_3_Only
Phillips 66 Guardol is an excellent choice for your truck and if you're getting a good deal on it, by all means get it. Switching between brands isn't a concern like it used to be, back in the 60s-70s, etc. Oils today are so much better and because of the specs they have to meet, they aren't different enough to cause a problem and especially since you've run a quality oil for the first part of it's life, you're not gonna have an oil related problem.

I went ahead and bought 10 gallons of 15W40 Guardol ECT, and I'm getting a PM service done today. I'll post back on if I notice any difference in oil consumption.

Thanks for your reply!

Here's some of my early observations after running the ECT for close to 2000 miles. I'm seeing a bit higher oil pressure readings. My oil pressure gauge reads 50 psi consistently at 1400 to 1500 rpm on my tach, regardless of oil temperature. My coolant temperature and oil temperature are both reading slightly lower. And zero oil consumption so far. As the miles continue on this run, I'll post back on what my gauges read.

Using CJ4 15W40 Mobil Delvac Super 1300 and CK4 15W40 Delo 400 SDE, once my motor was up to operating temperature, my oil pressure gauge would read between 48 to 50 psi. And after pulling a grade, or on a hot day, my oil pressure gauge would consistently read 48 psi. As the miles increased on both oils, the gauge would consistently read between 46 to 48 psi. I've pretty much stayed at Detroit's recommended 15,000/300 hours OCI's in the past, although I've went as high as 17,000 miles/350 to 400 hours on a few runs, and my UOAs showed both the Delvac and Delo still had life left.

I'm going to go 15,000 miles or 300 hours on my first run on the Guardol ECT. I won't send in a UOA, because I'm thinking there's a bit of residual Delo 400 mixed with it. After my second run on the Guardol, I'll send in a UOA through my Phillips 66 Distributor. They told me they use Polaris. After that, I'm going to start working with Terry Dyson at Dyson Analysis.

Another quick update on how the Guardol ECT is doing after almost 6000 miles.
No Consumption. And my oil pressure reading when my motor is fully warmed up is 50 psi, tach is at 1400 to 1500 rpm, which is around 68 mph; my typical cruising speed. I pulled some big grades in Montana today, and even with my engine fan kicking in, my oil pressure was in between 48 and 50 psi. It seems like it's a darn good oil.

Oil pressure still going strong, almost to 8500 miles. I've added 1 quart to put my dipstick back to the full mark. I've decided to stay out running for a few more weeks, and I wasn't going through town, so I shot an email to Conoco-Phillips about Distributors along my route. I was emailed back a link, typed in cities along the way, and found a Distributor less than a mile off the Interstate. I gave them a jingle, stopped by, and bought 3 cases(9 gallons). Even with gabbing with another Driver, I was in and out in less than 20 minutes. My price worked out to be around $13.65 per gallon. Pretty sweet deal in my opinion, as that's pretty close to what Walmart is charging for a gallon of Delo 400 SDE 15w40.

He is giving you good deal at 11$ per gallon for conventional. I been looking across web everywhere to bring down costs of changes even ordering 55gallon drum of sonoco 15w-40 still brings the oil change for 2.5g to 23$. Emission approved and CK4. Something to look at if your willing lay down folding money to have your own barrel it will save decent amount over time. For me 55gallon is way to much but im looking for 5gal from decent brand for good price. I may contact some local shops and see what they would fill my 2.5g jug for.

My current changes cost: 37.36$
Delo: 31.86
Mineral Spirts to clean full flow...50 cents or so
TP roll at 5$ each

http://petroleumservicecompany.com/sunoco-super-c-15w-40-api-ck-4/

Last edited:
I'd like to order a barrel, but I don't have the space in my garage. I certainly won't complain about the price per gallon, even when I'm buying cases. Guardol ECT is a semi-synthetic, and it's price per gallon when I buy cases is just about 15 cents more per gallon than buying Conventional Delo 400 SDE at Wal-Mart.

Now that I'm finally getting home for off time, I can take my empty jugs to my local distributor. When I buy it in bulk from them, I get an even better price; it's actually cheaper per gallon than buying gallon jugs of Delvac Super 1300 at Wal-Mart.

I've passed the 12,000 mile mark on my first run. Oil pressure is still right up there, and I havent needed to add any make up oil since the quart I put in a few thousand miles ago.

I'll most likely get a PM done while I'm out on the road, within the next couple of days. After my second run, I'll send in a sample and see how it's doing inside my motor.

Dak, congratulations on finding a good deal on the Guardol oil. I'm certain that it's going to do you good and that's a great price. I'm just a proponent of CK-4 oils, period. Between the API tests and the other heavy duty engine builder tests outside of the API's, it's just a good spec.

I hope everything is going well with your business. It's not easy, that's for sure!

Last edited:
Hi Dusty! The Guardol I'm running is CK4, although I believe they've opted to stay with the higher levels of ZDDP, similar to Rotella T4. I've been quite happy with both Delvac and Delo products, the only reasons I switched are lower cost per gallon, and lately I've had trouble finding Delo 400 XLE 10W30 and my local Walmarts.

I honestly think all of the majors produce excellent HDEOs. I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them.

As far as business goes, I've been doing pretty well. But I'm always on the lookout for a better opportunity. I have a couple of leads that sound good, one involves pulling Hazmat/tanks. I'll be researching them when I get home.

Take care, and be safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back