HMMWV tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know anything about the mil spec tires used on the HMMWV? A quick search didn't find anything helpful so I'm going to tap into the knowledge base here!

37x12.50 in several different varieties.

Old Bias Ply GoodYears.

In radials BFG Baja TA the aggressive and less aggressive tread pattern, GoodYear MT (directional), GoodYear MTR (non directional) were the ones I've seen.

Tire Rack should be able to hook you up
27.gif

They aren't that great off road from what I have seen. They are just too heavy (duty, weight) for something light like a Jeep. There is just no traction with them. And on the road, the directional ones and the MT/R ones are pretty awful for traction.

They kind of work on a 1 ton truck or a Suburban or something, but still not great.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
They aren't that great off road from what I have seen. They are just too heavy (duty, weight) for something light like a Jeep. There is just no traction with them. And on the road, the directional ones and the MT/R ones are pretty awful for traction.

They kind of work on a 1 ton truck or a Suburban or something, but still not great.

True with all the armor they've added...but it met the US Army's specs when first built, and back then it was a superb off road vehicle.

Last edited:
If I recall, they are still on a 16.5" Rim as well... not too common these days. All of the new ones that I last worked with had the 37 x 12.5 Good Year M/T on them. Great looking tire for sure!

I have a source for them if you want the info. Pretty good price from what I remember. 37 12.50 16.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT Military is what is says on the sidewall. I buy them for Military equipment. My Source is American Outfitters in San Diego. 619-390-4268

I was just looking for info and was pretty curious about construction. I thought the bfg Baja and the GY mtr were used but couldn’t remember. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back