Fuel stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking the summer/weekend car out of storage, weather dependent, which means the F150 will be seeing some degree of decreased useage depending on the weather. I don't drive a HUGE ammount any more and my optional 36ga tank typically lasts 2 weeks of full time use. If I drive my Mustang 50% of the time that means 3-4 weeks between truck fill ups and maybe much longer if I drive the Mustang a lot. Any sense is using a fuel stabilizer (doesn't matter which one at this time; I have my favorite) for this application? I'm sure I don't *NEED* it but would it really offer any benefit? With a 36ga tank, thats not an inconsequential amount of stabilizer.

No need. I have a “spare beater” that gets gassed up a couple times a year. No problems. I keep it around because both my wife and I commute from our rual home, and I like to have a spare. Also, the kids drive it around when they fly in to visit.

Last edited:
Fuel Stabilizers are not necessary for storage of less than 6 months IMO...even though ethanol has made fuel much less stable...

Lol, what paranoia. I have used a half of tank of gas in my jeep for about 2 years. That's 10 gallons of E10 in soggy PNW. Fires right up and runs just the same throughout. If that doesn't need stabilizing, what does?

Larger amounts of fuel that are stored in tightly sealed containers will stay fresh for a much longer period of time.

Small fuel tanks that do not seal up very well will cause the fuel to go bad in a matter of weeks, which is one of the biggest reasons why you see so many fuel related problems with small equipment.

If you are going to stabilize gas, use K100MG or Biobor EB (in conjunction with a tightly sealing container, of course). Both are very good products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back