Oil gimmick discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My oil change is due soon and I was looking for some oil on sale since that's the only way us Canadians can buy affordable engine oil... that said it is simply astonishing how much there seems to be some types of gimmicky oil? Not even talking about oil weights here.

You can get
- Fully synthetic
- Fully synthetic long lasting
- Synthetic blend
- High millage synth blend
- High mileage full synth
- Fuel economy
- Conventional
and probably more that I did not spot yet...

Like, what the F. Then I do some of my own research which show they appear to be gimmick and just sticking to whatever you had (full synthetic or conventional) is good enough. But then, how do the companies keep selling and having all these products up?

Are you saying you are unable to pick an oil that meets your vehicle's requirements and is suitable for the expected operating conditions?

I think you can, and in under a minute at CT or wherever you typically purchase oil.

Some oil "gimmicks" survive, and some don't. Ones that really have a noticeable effect to users that are paying attention to the oil's performance do survive.
Valvoline had Turbo-V back in the mid-80's, formulated with no or minimal VII's to avoid coking up the turbo bearings. I used it for a couple of years in my 85 Pontiac Sunbird Turbo, but switched to Mobil 1 when I could afford it.

Valvoline created High Mileage oil perhaps 15-20 years ago, and it caught on, so Mobil and SOPUS had to create their own versions.
Valvoline created NexGen oil with partially recycled base stock, and it caught on for a while, but fizzled after Valvoline had trouble controlling quality, and perhaps because they charged as much for it as for their regular oils with entirely virgin base stock.
Mobil 1 had a Truck & SUV blend for a while, but it went away.
Now Mobil 1 has Annual Protection, and it's probably the result of marketing studies showing consumers don't want to be bothered changing oil more than once a year.
And I just saw Mobil 1 Extended Protection High Mileage last week. Now they're combining the gimmicks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
Are you saying you are unable to pick an oil that meets your vehicle's requirements and is suitable for the expected operating conditions?

I think you can, and in under a minute at CT or wherever you typically purchase oil.

I know what I'm getting, fully synthetic but I just want to discuss why the [censored] they sell all these other types.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I’m still trying to figure out what the op said.

I want to discuss why there is 5+ more different oil types. Shouldn't it simply be conventional and fully synthetic. What's the point of the others. It must be a gimmick if no vehicle manufacturers ever recommend to use high mileage oil for example when you hit an X amount of miles.

Last edited:
To me it is all a sales and marketing game. They play with words and packaging to get the most sales. I found out here that people still argue what is and what is not synthetic etc. People pointed me that there is a lot more that goes on besides the list you mentioned. Some just goes with a oil that meets spec and not worry to much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheMidnightNarwh
I know what I'm getting, fully synthetic but I just want to discuss why the [censored] they sell all these other types.

Why not? Do you have the same problem at the store buying cereal?

Out of these, which ones apply to what you want or need?

- Fully synthetic
- Synthetic blend
- Fuel economy
- Conventional

Are you able to pick one from that list and is also available at CT or Walmart, using your owner's manual as a guide along with price?

What you are describing as "gimmicks" are just things. I'm not sure what the complaint is really about. As far as I can tell, you just don't like choices.

Gimmicks are silly things that don't actually work or are pure marketing hype. Things like semi-synthetics, conventionals, and full synthetics are not gimmicks. They are types of lubricants.

Just choose a Full Synthetic at the proper oil viscosity your manual / car manufacturer recommends and change it at the car manufacturers recommended interval and you will be good to go.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: TheMidnightNarwh

Why not? Do you have the same problem at the store buying cereal?

Out of these, which ones apply to what you want or need?

- Fully synthetic
- Synthetic blend
- Fuel economy
- Conventional

Are you able to pick one from that list and is also available at CT or Walmart, using your owner's manual as a guide along with price?

But no one needs those other types either? My car has 204 00KM and I'm not going for the high mileage oils and it works no issues. Like no owner's manual will ever call for that. They wil just call for a synth oil or not.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
What you are describing as "gimmicks" are just things. I'm not sure what the complaint is really about. As far as I can tell, you just don't like choices.

Gimmicks are silly things that don't actually work or are pure marketing hype. Things like semi-synthetics, conventionals, and full synthetics are not gimmicks. They are types of lubricants.

How are they not gimmicks. Who would not just follow their owner's manual recommendation. Manual will either say synthetic or not and grade.

What is the point of the rest of the oils I listed?

Here is the marketing of different grades and the goals that they aim for. Bottom line is I think people like to "customize" what they get. It gives them the pleasure of getting something better. In turn it sells and sells for more.

From the links of bitog front page...

Great post jooksing. You are exactly right about the focus behind this set up.

Now.. we should give out bonuses to anyone who can routinely find Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. That is gotten to be like finding a Alpine deer in the woods.

Originally Posted By: Jooksing
Here is the marketing of different grades and the goals that they aim for. Bottom line is I think people like to "customize" what they get. It gives them the pleasure of getting something better. In turn it sells and sells for more.

From the links of bitog front page...

So if you ever want high mileage oil for your euro car you can't? Lol.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Great post jooksing. You are exactly right about the focus behind this set up.

Now.. we should give out bonuses to anyone who can routinely find Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. That is gotten to be like finding a Alpine deer in the woods.

I’ve only seen albino deer in Nara Japan. I’ve never seen Pennzoil Ultra.

This what happens in an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state. The perfect definition of Capitalism!

lol!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

There have been Alpino (white fur) deer spotted in the woods in my area. Not often. But they sure have been seen. My dad saw one in the woods I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back