Is one type of coolant the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so ive been reading alot about coolant lately. The advantages to various types, and the disadvanges that come with them. And it made me wonder- if a guy is building a fresh engine, and putting it in a project car with a brand new aluminum radiator, new heater core, all new hoses, is there an advantage to using one type of coolant over another?
I know the main good and bad points on american green, HOAT/G05, and OATs like dexcool and ford orange. But being me, i had to see if the Japenese or Euro stuff held any advantage, as well as what the major aftermarkets were doing too. The Japs stuff intrigues me. It is, i guess called POAT, the p being phosphated, and is easier on seals than OAT but has many of its benefits. Amsoil coolant is POAT as well, and im sure they put some thought into that.
So thoughts? Is POAT the way to go? Im basing this on the assumption we are using purified water, as that could factor in to who uses what possibly as well. I ask because i am in this exact situation myself. Car (i wont say make to prevent bias) has brand new crate engine, aluminum rad, heater core, and hoses. It is going to be turbocharged with a liquid cooled turbo as well. What would you use and why?

So first thing.. only because its bugging me.. it's PHOAT, for Phosphated Hybrid Organic Acid Technology... not POAT. Sorry.. had to say it.

Second, if the engine is new and has never had coolant in it, then it doesn't matter terribly much which coolant you use.. at least for the most part.. as long as it is a modern coolant. If it were mine, I'd just go with Peak Fleet Charge as the coolant, if for no other reason than it's a quality low-silicate coolant designed for LONG life (heck, it's used in over-the-road trucks), is available pretty much EVERYWHERE for super cheap, and is widely-compatible.

One gallon for $10.99 at Rural King, $12.99 at Tractor Supply, etc.. I don't think you could do any better.

I think Peak Global Lifetime is the closest thing to a UNIVERSAL coolant that is available.

Long life and little corrosion sounds like the balancing act right? And interesting. I swear read POAT on Amsoil literature somewhere... As for OEM recommendation, im not too worried about that. Its a fresh engine with modern sealsand hoses, and new rad and heater core. And, unless i am somehow mistaken, i believe switching to an aluminum radiator means regular green is not the best choice. Im not running the risk of the issues DexCool is known for either. So that leaves HOAT and PHOAT. So Zerex G05 or Zerex Asian. (Im a Valvoline guy) its the kinda car that might see 5k miles a year, so im not worried about initial price so much as a balance of the least chance of corrosion and longest life. I know, im geeking out here, but where else to do so? I figured the place where folks are determined to find the "best" fluids for their cars would be the place to find someone else who had pondered this question. (after hours of reading uoas, fretting about which brand/weight to try at their soon approaching oil change, and finally deciding to try the new stuff nobody has done a uoa on yet lol)

tl;dr i want to use zerex asian blue or g05 as an upgrade to normal green, and cant decide which to use.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KMJ1992
Car has brand new crate engine, aluminum rad, heater core, and hoses. It is going to be turbocharged with a liquid cooled turbo as well. What would you use and why?

I would use a coolant that is recommended by the manufacture of this new engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back