Brave Browser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried or at least looked at this browser. I dumped FF because it ate resources and was tracking my usage. Loaded Chrome and going to one site, banking, I wound up with 5 tracking cookies without signing in to the site.
I just hate everyone tracking what I'm doing. Any answers?
Thanks

Smoky

You can block 3rd party cookies in FF and Chrome, however cookies from visited sites will still load. Blocking that will break a lot of web sites though. So you can set it to clear cookies when you exit the browser. I think that's the best solution if you have a problem with cookies.

I personally use FF. They made a lot of improvements to the browser recently.

Chrome actually has a lot more tracking features than FF. As far as I know you can disable all tracking features (sending data to Mozilla/Google) in FF, but not all of them in Chrome. I agree with Hawk that FF is better for privacy.

I haven't tried Brave Browser. For me the more obscure browsers will probably receive less scrutiny and weaker security updates than FF or Chrome, so that's why I don't use them.

I use chrome with everything disabled (do not track me and such) plus https everywhere, disconnectme, and ublock.
FF glitched out on me and I can't use it, can't figure out why, but FF > chrome any day. Chrome is a resource hog, I can be running 4gigs is ram dedicated to the browser alone.

I have used BRAVE for 7 months.....It was quite buggy for the first 5 months. I guess that was to be expected when it was in BETA form. Currently works very well. Eliminates the tracking problems but you will need to experiment with the settings to determine what works best for you. They get their revenue by a special Brave payments program.....Check out BRAVE for further info. All others make their money by selling your info....There is no free lunch despite what some will allude to.

I use to use GHOSTERY until it was bought out by a third party. I found out they were selling my private browsing habits....UBLOCK is good but can be quite a pain to use....Again, it takes a learning curve to make these work properly for each individual...I used to use Firefox but they became such snoops and sold my browser info also......and still are.

These are just my personal experiences. Yours experiences could be different.

There are many ways to protect one's privacy on the NET.....but none are 100% foolproof.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher

Chrome has a do not track setting, you need to turn it on

FF has that setting, too, but it's up to each individual website whether to honor it or not.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Has anyone tried or at least looked at this browser. I dumped FF because it ate resources and was tracking my usage. Loaded Chrome and going to one site, banking, I wound up with 5 tracking cookies without signing in to the site.
I just hate everyone tracking what I'm doing. Any answers?
Thanks

Smoky

If you think Firefox is a resource hog, going to Chrome was a move in the entirely wrong direction...

Firefox has significantly improved in the past six months or so, so much that it has returned as my primary browser after ~8 years of Chrome being my main browser (I was a very early adopter of Firefox when it was still in beta in the early 2000's). If you go into options then privacy and security you can adjust settings on tracking just like Chrome and other browsers. You can also install add-ons (same ones that Brave pre-installs in some cases) to make it more secure.

I've played with Brave on my laptop and phone, it works fine but has some rough edges. In the end I have chosen to continue with Firefox because I can get the same level of security in a much more polished and frequently updated package than Brave provides.

I use Brave on iOS. It blocks a lot of junk, but still has bugs and some websites don't seem to work properly with it.

However, it's improving over time, whereas Firefox seems to be going backward (or, at least, one step forward followed by two steps back).

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
If you think Firefox is a resource hog, going to Chrome was a move in the entirely wrong direction...

I agree. And Firefox can be even more RAM efficient in Windows when multi-process is turned off:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1191641

Chrome reports my information to Google way too much, even when I tell it not to. Google gives it away for free because of the information they collect with it. That said, if you don't mind the reporting and RAM hogging, Chrome is a fine browser.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Chrome reports my information to Google way too much, even when I tell it not to. Google gives it away for free because of the information they collect with it. That said, if you don't mind the reporting and RAM hogging, Chrome is a fine browser.

Chromium won't do any of that creepy stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back