Kinda P/O'd with Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: huh
wow....thanks for sharing your experience...it was sooooo helpful *rolls eyes*
hopefully your experience will help save someone else the headache of dealing with redline *rolls eyes*

dude is so [censored] that he gets online to complain about some company that didn't price match a competitor.
whiny entitlement?

I don't understand your sarcasm but I forget this is BITOG explains it.

I'm not entitled never said I was and your taking things out of context again BITOG thing.

If you go to a place of business that sells something you need for one price but can get the same exact thing somewhere else for cheaper and you give that one company a chance to earn your business and drop the price and they say no? They lost my business.

Now if you think it's stupid to save money than who is the idiot here?

A penny saved is a penny earned.

Entitled?

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Hello my fellow enthusiasts...

Was a little P i s s e d with Redline today. I went to their website to order some gear oil and such for my wifes Nissan Titan pick-up and wasn't really sure I was going to order from them, or Amsoil. I figured they are both excellent and will go with whoever is cheaper.

My Total what I was going to buy was $119.78 plus tax and shipping from Redline, so I figure I will head over to Amsoil and see what they would charge for the same stuff. Amsoil total (these are totals taken from both corporate sites) $109.75 Plus tax and shipping.

So I look and see that Amsoil has free shipping for anything over $100 I go to Redline and they wanted to charge me $15 for shipping.

So I email David over at Redline, been working with them off and on since the early 2000's there a bouts. I ask David if he can waive the shipping fee for me? I live like 6 hrs away from Redline, and Amsoil is like 2000 miles away and they are giving me free shipping. Can you help?

So I get an email back from David, and I am happy he did respond. He says he cant give me a discount on the shipping, and he recommended I go through Amazon or something from free shipping and that I would need to spend $150 to get free shipping.

So I am basically $25 away from getting free shipping from Redline, they lost a sale because they would not waive the fee, so this round goes to Amsoil.

In this day and age with free shipping all over the place, why on earth Redline would lose a sale over $25 is beyond me. Not only that it kinda put a sour taste in my mouth knowing they would not work with me AT ALL.

I usually dont use these "Boutique" oils, but the gear oil prices for all brands at least in the synthetic arena are pretty competitive so I said why not.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Jeff

Not sure why you didn't contact the Amsoil site sponsor, PC pricing would have knocked 20-25% off that.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Trav
I much prefer the Amsoil anyway. IMHO you got a win win deal with the Amsoil, a better product cheaper.

I'm no Amsoil fanboy, I did use the oil years ago but lets be honest there is real competition in that area for much lower prices but their transmission and gear lubes are IMO one of if not the best in the business and well worth the premium.

49.gif

This.

I prefer Amsoil gear oils over Redline any day. I tried Redline in the rear diff one time and it whined. Went back to Amsoil Severe Gear (thanks Pablo!) and it was smooth and silent again.

You made the right purchase.

Never heard of a gear oil making a rear end whine. You sure it wasn't just the vehicle?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Hello my fellow enthusiasts...

Was a little P i s s e d with Redline today. I went to their website to order some gear oil and such for my wifes Nissan Titan pick-up and wasn't really sure I was going to order from them, or Amsoil. I figured they are both excellent and will go with whoever is cheaper.

My Total what I was going to buy was $119.78 plus tax and shipping from Redline, so I figure I will head over to Amsoil and see what they would charge for the same stuff. Amsoil total (these are totals taken from both corporate sites) $109.75 Plus tax and shipping.

So I look and see that Amsoil has free shipping for anything over $100 I go to Redline and they wanted to charge me $15 for shipping.

So I email David over at Redline, been working with them off and on since the early 2000's there a bouts. I ask David if he can waive the shipping fee for me? I live like 6 hrs away from Redline, and Amsoil is like 2000 miles away and they are giving me free shipping. Can you help?

So I get an email back from David, and I am happy he did respond. He says he cant give me a discount on the shipping, and he recommended I go through Amazon or something from free shipping and that I would need to spend $150 to get free shipping.

So I am basically $25 away from getting free shipping from Redline, they lost a sale because they would not waive the fee, so this round goes to Amsoil.

In this day and age with free shipping all over the place, why on earth Redline would lose a sale over $25 is beyond me. Not only that it kinda put a sour taste in my mouth knowing they would not work with me AT ALL.

I usually dont use these "Boutique" oils, but the gear oil prices for all brands at least in the synthetic arena are pretty competitive so I said why not.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Jeff

Not sure why you didn't contact the Amsoil site sponsor, PC pricing would have knocked 20-25% off that.

Are you talking Amsoil site sponsor as in this site? Or on the Amsoil site itself?

I was online and spoke to a rep from Amsoil while on the website, they gave me free shipping and a discount on my order. Redline did not. I have been using Redline Oils of some degree since 2003 when I first began this site actually.

As I mentioned before, I have no brand loyalty, to say I was [censored] Off may have been poor verbiage on my behalf, was just Disappointment really. In the end though, I still ended up with what I needed at a savings.

As a previous business owner myself, I would not have lost a customer over $20. But thats just me. Especially one that has been with me for 15 yrs. Oh Well.

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
hopefully your experience will help save someone else the headache of dealing with redline *rolls eyes*

dude is so [censored] that he gets online to complain about some company that didn't price match a competitor.
whiny entitlement?

I'm not entitled never said I was and your taking things out of context again BITOG thing.

If you go to a place of business that sells something you need for one price but can get the same exact thing somewhere else for cheaper and you give that one company a chance to earn your business and drop the price and they say no? They lost my business.

Entitled?

Jeff

I hadn't gotten the memo that redline and Amsoil was the same stuff.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Trav
I much prefer the Amsoil anyway. IMHO you got a win win deal with the Amsoil, a better product cheaper.

I'm no Amsoil fanboy, I did use the oil years ago but lets be honest there is real competition in that area for much lower prices but their transmission and gear lubes are IMO one of if not the best in the business and well worth the premium.

49.gif

This.

I prefer Amsoil gear oils over Redline any day. I tried Redline in the rear diff one time and it whined. Went back to Amsoil Severe Gear (thanks Pablo!) and it was smooth and silent again.

You made the right purchase.

Never heard of a gear oil making a rear end whine. You sure it wasn't just the vehicle?

Redline whined in my 91'BMW LSD. Specialty formulations is what I ended up getting, no issues for 50k+ miles.

No not at all, your missing the point. The point is a competitor that is 2000 miles away was willing to do free shipping vs Redline being 200 miles away said no.

If you pay shipping charges for everything that is up to you. I dont. In this day and age of FREE shipping I would think Redline would have done this to earn my business.

Few things.... Redline does offer free shipping, just like Amsoil, but they have different thresholds. Distance isn't that much of a factor in the shipping charges, at least not as much as people think. Besides, I highly doubt that you're 2000 miles away from Amsoil - they have distribution centers across the US.

Lastly, and most importantly, companies are just marking up the cost of their products in order to provide this "free" shipping.

the end though, I still ended up with what I needed at a savings.

As a previous business owner myself, I would not have lost a customer over $20. But thats just me. Especially one that has been with me for 15 yrs. Oh Well.

Jeff

I would and have lost a few customers over the years because of shipping because my company could not afford to eat shipping costs for every customer that wanted me to waive shipping costs.

As a former business owner you should know that and complaining about it seems immature.

Last edited:
So you both go your separate ways. Happens all the time. But they clearly didn't treat you unfairly. You just don't appreciate their shipping T&C...and that is your right too.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
the end though, I still ended up with what I needed at a savings.

Jeff

I would and have lost a few customers over the years because of shipping because my company could not afford to eat shipping costs for every customer that wanted me to waive shipping costs.

As a former business owner you should know that and complaining about it seems immature.

As a past business owner, I would comp my competitors when it came to same or similar items I was selling. In this case, Redline chose not to comp Amsoil's shipping standard.

It is reasonable to ask to comp a competitor. That is all I am saying.

So in my past business case, earning a customers business is not immature at all.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
No not at all, your missing the point. The point is a competitor that is 2000 miles away was willing to do free shipping vs Redline being 200 miles away said no.

If you pay shipping charges for everything that is up to you. I dont. In this day and age of FREE shipping I would think Redline would have done this to earn my business.

Few things.... Redline does offer free shipping, just like Amsoil, but they have different thresholds. Distance isn't that much of a factor in the shipping charges, at least not as much as people think. Besides, I highly doubt that you're 2000 miles away from Amsoil - they have distribution centers across the US.

Lastly, and most importantly, companies are just marking up the cost of their products in order to provide this "free" shipping.

Yes you are correct, Redline DOES offer free shipping IF you spend over $150. My Total was $134 so basically over $14 dollars they lost my business. Amsoil free shipping is $100 min. I asked Redline if they would match it, they said no, so I went with Amsoil.

I think it is reasonable to have asked them to comp the shipping. Oh Well.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

whiny entitlement?

Entitled?

Jeff

I hadn't gotten the memo that redline and Amsoil was the same stuff.

The Gear Oils I was buying from Either company are very similar PAO based products. Probably more similar than you might think.

Jeff

I guess the point of all this comes down to cost. I'm sharing this experience so that someone that is on the fence about getting either oil brand "A" vs Oil Brand "B" and with A you need to spend $150 or more for free shipping, vs B that is $100 and the two brands are top shelf brands, that may sway a customer one way or the other.

I try to save money and posted this for people to know. Thats All. I would like to change the title of my post, but cant. I would have liked a better title and its not good to write a title when your upset, and I was upset at a few things that day not just the oil stuff. Thats all.

I did check Jegs, and other companies that sell the oil, but the over all cost would have been more even with their "Free Shipping". In this particular case, on this particular day, Amsoil was the better overall "Deal".

Jeff

Last edited:
...so basically over $14 dollars they lost my business. Amsoil free shipping is $100 min. I asked Redline if they would match it, they said no, so I went with Amsoil.

What you have done if your total at Amsoil was $86 ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
...so basically over $14 dollars they lost my business. Amsoil free shipping is $100 min. I asked Redline if they would match it, they said no, so I went with Amsoil.

What you have done if your total at Amsoil was $86 ?

I actually asked them that. If you purchase under $100 shipping is $8.50. Redline was still $15.

I know it sounds like counting pennies, but a dollar saved is a dollar earned.

Jeff

That said, you should have just went with either M1 or Synpower 75w-90 at less than $15 a quart.

How much gear oil does a Nissan Titan hold?

i consider Redlines products superior + always shop for the best delivered prices + since unopened lubes stored properly in my house are good a long time, redline mentions 10 yrs i dont mind adding enough to get the free ship. currently only my 2001 audi TT gets the redline oil only 4 1/4 qt sump, but their drivetrain lubes in my nisaan Fronty that netted 3 mpgs!!! since you are buying botique products you pay what you must if thats what you "really" need

Last edited:
This is a general comment and not directed at that OP - just another take. I'm a small business owner and I'm pretty much booked every day I work. The service I provide is not cheap and I think I'm worth every penny. Roughly once per month I get someone who wants to quote someone else's fee because it's less and they approach me like because they can take their business elsewhere, they somehow have me over a barrel and they threaten to go elsewhere. When I say no to the discount they almost always think they had the final word because I, "lost their business", when the truth is I'm booked full anyway and when they went elsewhere someone else happily came and paid my full fee. I guess it's a little different with sales of products but at the end of the day sometimes businesses just don't need to discount their business.

The OP was probably talking to a salesman or clerk. They don't have the authority to cut shipping prices, especially for a $100 order. Unless you're spending a few hundred every month, I wouldn't expect special treatment. That Amsoil shipped for free, means nothing. Maybe the product is cheaper or they have a better deal with FedEx. Who knows.

Not sure about Redline but It seems like many manufacturers have agreements with their distributors that they will not undercut their distributor’s pricing. So, buying factory direct is often a good way to ensure that you don't get the best deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back