Mobil 0w 40 FS vs 0w 40 ESP

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the differences between the FS and ESP 0W 40 Mobil oils. Is one better for a GDI over the other. TBN, noack? The ESP came out for the new Corvette spec, but I wasn't sure what the difference was to warrant a different 0w 40 from what they already have. I have a 6.2 GDI motor in my new 2018 Silverado which is basically the same motor with different cam , intake and other things. I would think a truck motor would be subject to harsher environment and running conditions just from the weight difference between the two vehicles let alone if any towing is done with the truck. I drained the factory fill 0 20 after the first 800 miles and have been running 5 30 Mobil EP. Seeing the new spec 0 40 for the Corvette has me wanting to use that during next oil change. Thoughts?

First of all, the new 0w40 ESP isn't available in retail outlets yet, and isn't supposed to arrive until about the end of the summer at the soonest (and possibly later considering the supply problems they've been having getting this oil into GM dealer so far)

This new oil is dexos2 certified, so it has lower sulphated ash and phosphorus compared to the FS formula. It will also have a lot less calcium in it too I predict. Based on those things, it should be a better oil for direct injected engines.

Because I can't get my hands on this new 0w40, and I'm impatient, I decided to go with the 5w30 version of M1 ESP for my next oil change, and I might continue using it for a while. On paper I think the 5w30 ESP specs look better than the 0w40 ESP specs (and it should retain it's viscosity better due to less VII)

What do you think keeps it from getting the Dex1Gen2 approval? Isn't that what the original spec was, just different vistosity?

The new 0w40 can't be dexos1 approved because it's HTHS is over 3.5. That's part of the reason they made the switch, GM wants a thicker oil that Corvette owners can use for both street and track. (although I think they might also be wanting a thicker oil in there to help counter the effects of fuel dilution)

I understand your rational comparing to the vette gen 5 small block, but wasn't a bulletin issued that mentioned that 0w-20 should only be used in the L83?

With an dual output oil pump, 8 qt. sump and an oil cooler, not sure it would be a good idea to go that heavy.

Mine seems quiet, smooth with M1 0w-20 AFE.

I may switch to Amsoil sig ser. 0w-20 when I run out of M1.

I’m a bit puzzled by the 0w20 in my new 5.3L … but sticking with that for the near term …
Running M1 EP assuming the DI might cut it less than AFE … don’t know but $4 more?

Of course 5w30 has put many millions on 5.3L’s …

Originally Posted By: Patman
First of all, the new 0w40 ESP isn't available in retail outlets yet, and isn't supposed to arrive until about the end of the summer at the soonest (and possibly later considering the supply problems they've been having getting this oil into GM dealer so far)

This new oil is dexos2 certified, so it has lower sulphated ash and phosphorus compared to the FS formula. It will also have a lot less calcium in it too I predict. Based on those things, it should be a better oil for direct injected engines.

Because I can't get my hands on this new 0w40, and I'm impatient, I decided to go with the 5w30 version of M1 ESP for my next oil change, and I might continue using it for a while. On paper I think the 5w30 ESP specs look better than the 0w40 ESP specs (and it should retain it's viscosity better due to less VII)

IMO, 5W30 ESP is much better choice. This new M1 GTL based oils are IMO mediocre compared to VISOM based ones.

You also asked in previous topic which is better for GDI.
Depends. Is there fuel dilution issue in Vette? If there is, 0W40 FS should be better, although it has really, really high sulfated ash levels.
Also, does engine in Vette comes with port and direct injection? If it does, then lower SAPS oil is not necessarily better.
IMO, I would use in Vette Castrol 0W40.

I did have 2% fuel in my first UOA with my new Corvette but it's also possible that was because the engine was so new and rings weren't fully seated and the engine probably went through a few start and stop cycles without fully warming it up while it was being moved around the assembly plant and loaded onto the car carrier and stuff. My second UOA will be more telling as to whether or not it is an issue, at least in my particular case. Mine only has direct injection, but the new LT5 engine that goes in the ZR1 has both port and direct injection. I suspect that technology is going to trickle down to all of the engines when they introduce the next generation Corvette in a couple more years.

I'm going to stick with either 5w30 ESP or 0w40 ESP during my warranty period, but once that's over I may consider using Castrol 0w40 (especially if it proves itself to hold it's viscosity well in my wife's BMW) But I'm not really worried about using a low SAPS oil considering my OCIs won't be that long (maybe 6-8k) And they are going to be lowering the sulfur levels in Canadian gasoline over the next few years too.

I did have 2% fuel in my first UOA with my new Corvette but it's also possible that was because the engine was so new and rings weren't fully seated and the engine probably went through a few start and stop cycles without fully warming it up while it was being moved around the assembly plant and loaded onto the car carrier and stuff. My second UOA will be more telling as to whether or not it is an issue, at least in my particular case. Mine only has direct injection, but the new LT5 engine that goes in the ZR1 has both port and direct injection. I suspect that technology is going to trickle down to all of the engines when they introduce the next generation Corvette in a couple more years.

I'm going to stick with either 5w30 ESP or 0w40 ESP during my warranty period, but once that's over I may consider using Castrol 0w40 (especially if it proves itself to hold it's viscosity well in my wife's BMW) But I'm not really worried about using a low SAPS oil considering my OCIs won't be that long (maybe 6-8k) And they are going to be lowering the sulfur levels in Canadian gasoline over the next few years too.

6-8K in GDI that has 2% fuel dilution is long.
I used M1 5W30 ESP in Tiguan and did UOA at 3k. There was no traceable fuel dilution, but TBN was at 1.9 after 3k.
I would do UOA at 3k with 5W30 ESP and see how TBN holds. Also, 5W30 ESP tends to have pretty high TAN (probably due to some ester in base.

Originally Posted By: Crobinson16
What do you think keeps it from getting the Dex1Gen2 approval? Isn't that what the original spec was, just different vistosity?

In addition to what was already posted about that, one cannot be dexos1 and dexos2 at the same time.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I don't think I'm going to see 2% fuel on a regular basis, I explained above as to why I think it was so high on the first interval. But I am also not going to go straight to those 6-8k intervals without doing some lower mileage UOAs first. For example, I only plan on going 2k on my current fill of M1 5w30 and then I can do a UOA and check the fuel dilution. I think it's going to be almost nil as the idle oil pressure has not changed so far this interval and I have 1300 miles on the oil.

I don't think I'm going to see 2% fuel on a regular basis, I explained above as to why I think it was so high on the first interval. But I am also not going to go straight to those 6-8k intervals without doing some lower mileage UOAs first. For example, I only plan on going 2k on my current fill of M1 5w30 and then I can do a UOA and check the fuel dilution. I think it's going to be almost nil as the idle oil pressure has not changed so far this interval and I have 1300 miles on the oil.
Yeah, I would do that. Yes, I read your take on dilution, makes sense.
I am not sure why M1 cannot get higher HTHS out of GTL.

You also asked in previous topic which is better for GDI.
Depends. Is there fuel dilution issue in Vette? If there is, 0W40 FS should be better, although it has really, really high sulfated ash levels.
Also, does engine in Vette comes with port and direct injection? If it does, then lower SAPS oil is not necessarily better.
IMO, I would use in Vette Castrol 0W40.

Fuel dilution can be a problem , and the current Vette motor or the 6.2 in any platform of the new gm EcoTec is strictly a direct injection. Though I'm sure pre and post port injection will be the next thing coming, hopefully.

I was posting questions in another thread so I figured I'd tag on here sense the title is more appropriate.

In regards to GM's new 6.2l EcoTec3

I'm still trying to understand why the current version Mobil 0 40 fs isn't favored by gm for use in the Corvette. I realized it's a dexos license thing. But really, what is bad, or missing in the fs version that the esp 0 40 has or doesn't have. I'm still new so I don't have a deep understanding of the oil world

So basically the 0w 40 esp is a low saps? And of the 0w40 isn't, so does that mean it bad for just the cats and emmsion system, or does that play into the gdi valve coaking or the sulfer content in us gas. how does the 5w30 esp have a higher hths over the 0w40 esp . Why wouldn't they just is the 5w30 esp. or is there other difference between the two. I was wanting to use the mobile 0w40 fs because it's a pretty good oil from what I can tell and it's available most anywhere for a good price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Crobinson16
I was posting questions in another thread so I figured I'd tag on here sense the title is more appropriate.

In regards to GM's new 6.2l EcoTec3

I'm still trying to understand why the current version Mobil 0 40 fs isn't favored by gm for use in the Corvette. I realized it's a dexos license thing. But really, what is bad, or missing in the fs version that the esp 0 40 has or doesn't have. I'm still new so I don't have a deep understanding of the oil world

So basically the 0w 40 esp is a low saps? And of the 0w40 isn't, so does that mean it bad for just the cats and emmsion system, or does that play into the gdi valve coaking or the sulfer content in us gas. how does the 5w30 esp have a higher hths over the 0w40 esp . Why wouldn't they just is the 5w30 esp. or is there other difference between the two. I was wanting to use the mobile 0w40 fs because it's a pretty good oil from what I can tell and it's available most anywhere for a good price.

Might depend on how far ahead GM and Mobil were looking … next gen included?

I'm thinking about running this in my cx-5 DI skyactiv engine, instead of the 0w-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Might depend on how far ahead GM and Mobil were looking … next gen included?

Fair point. They may have engineered the new ESP flavor with gasoline particulate filters in mind...

Pennzoil has Dexos2 oils at Walmart like Euro L 5w-30, or Amazon also has 0w-40. Looks like Dexos2 is similar to the ACEA A3 spec, with an HTHS of 3.5 or better. Better for high temps, like sustained 230F, which I see at the track all the time. I hear also has good anti foaming qualities. European driving near full throttle on the Autobahn could do same. GM used to recommend Mobil1 15w-50 for track use, but switched to Mobil1ESP 0w-40 for combined street/track use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back