2017 Volkswagen Golf 5MT - 15122km - factory fill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the report back for my Golf. I ran 15,122km on the factory fill. This includes whatever running / drive cycle was done before I got the car at 182km, plus ~15,000km of my daily 130km commute from September through March in the BC interior.

nucZ3H8.png

Code:

Tin 0

Lead 1

Copper 33

Aluminum 9

Silicon 22

Iron 25

Chromium 0.8

Silver 0

Zinc 805

Magnesium 6

Nickel 0

Barium 0

Sodium 4

Calcium 1700

Vanadium 1

Phosphorus 615

Molybdenum 0

Boron 3

Manganese 5

Viscosity (D445) 100C 11.38

Water (D4007) (% v/v) 0

Solids (D4007) (% v/v)
Glycol No

Fuel Dilution No

Oil Changed? YES

Anything here I should be worried about?

I was expecting around 25ppm copper and 33 isn't far off. The other metals all looked pretty reasonable and the Silicon I figured would be higher since it was a new car/engine but I'm happy to see it that low.

Using the Castrol oil supplied by VW in the new engine, I would guess, as it is factory fill. If this is a direct injected engine, many of us with this type of VW setup do oil changes at 5000 US miles to try to minimize intake valve deposits. Also, use a Top Tier fuel.

It is direct injected and I do worry about valve deposits but I make sure to give it a proper italian tuneup every so often to help keep it happy. I don't see any evidence of it thickening out of grade or losing other properties so I don't see why running the oil longer would cause an increase in valve deposits?

I have switched to Pentosyn for my next oil change (and the couple after unless it performs very basly) but I also figured people would like to see how the factory fill holds up over the manual-recommended 15,000km change interval.

It does look quite good for that distance. Normally on a TGDI engine, since you are running highway miles I like 7500 miles as the change interval. Do you plan on running a analysis in each oil change? Also a good question to ask the analysis company is regarding the fuel dilution. They are using a yes or no answer but what defines yes or no?

All in all it looks great and you should be pleased with that report.

I've had one come back positive for fuel before, it says "NO" until it hits 0.1 then you get a number. Or at least I did about 3-4 years back when I had my first result there.

I do plan on doing UOA every oil change as I have switched oils for the current change interval and once the warranty expires I would like to run extended drain intervals. The warranty is only 80,000km and with 15,000km change intervals I need to basically sample them all to establish a solid history. As for my decision to run extended drain intervals, to support this I have selected the Pentosin 504.00 certified oil which, I believe, in other regions is permitted to run extended drain intervals so I am hoping it will hold up well.

Originally Posted By: Gubkin
What's the engine, code ?

Good question - how do I check?

Wow, that's a great report. Iron at 25 ppm in 9,400 miles on a new engine is unheard of. Especially in a non-Japanese engine.
That is one very healthy engine.

Wondering why calcium is so high when most of the known universe is afraid of LSPI in DI engines these days. The Germans didn't get the memo I guess.

Also, no moly. Honda-Acura tells everybody that lots of moly is essential for good break-in, preventing hot spots from forming in new engines. So much for that! Or, maybe the organic FM's in this oil replaces typical moly seen in FF oil.

The lab should have tested for titanium. Castrol (if that's what this is...) uses titanium compounds in many of their oils for AW.

Viscosity KV100 is perfect for a 30-weight. Probably what they originally put in. (BMW, by comparison, puts a 0w20 or 0w30 in about everything these days too.) I guess the days of 0w40 or 5w40 FF's are gone for most German engines. This engine has a VW 502 spec'ed for the oil, such as Mobil1 0w40 or there are a few 5w30's that meet VW 502 like the FF likely was. It could be VW filled it with a 0w40, and it thinned (VII breakdown) to a 30, its possible, don't know.

Silicon is a part of the anti-foaming additives in motor oil. Also in seals, so it shows up for both reasons.

Last edited:
In retrospect it is a little weird they don't test for titanium. I am not sure why that is?

I was also really surprised at the lack of moly. Looking at my other UOA results almost all of them show some moly in there, but VW seems to disagree.

I does look like the factory fill is a 30W, based on guesses I have seen on various forums it is theorized to be a 5W30.

VW specs a 502.00 or 504.00 oil as suitable for this engine. The 502.00 is listed as suitable for standard drain intervals whereas I see the 504.00 listed for extended drain intervals (as suggested by the oil manufacturers). I selected the Pentosin 504.00 oil for the current change interval and if it performs well I will continue to use it in the future. I drive about 2800-3000km per month so the next change (at 30,000km) should be later this summer - I will share the results of that UOA when I get them.

No moly is suspicious! Never built the engine without it. It may be it is not this car's report?

Last edited:
There is always something to worry about. what if the water pump fails tomorrow? the Trans goes out on the way to work?
thumbsup2.gif
the uoa looks amazing for the factory fill on a new engine and the miles on it. Enjoy the nice car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back