Hydro Gear Zero Turn Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to change the fluid and filter on my newly acquired Snapper (Simplicity) CZT 1948. It's a HydroGear PG. I have been instructed to unscrew the filter and let the fluid drain from there. If you look at these pictures I'm thinking you may be wondering how fluid will drain from here? The filter is pretty much at the "top" of the system. Not like other systems where the filter is at the bottom. I cannot se getting more than a little fluid out this way. Maybe the reservoir will drain out a little?

Also, I was noticing the hydraulic hoses and how the one hose on the left side has been rubbing the inside of the rear tire. See pictures. Notice how the hoses on the left side, from the back of the mower run parallel and look so organized and neat. Notice how the hoses on the right side cross over and how the one has rubbed the tire. It would seem if I switched the hoses on the right side to make them run parallel I could eliminate any tire rubbing by the longer hose. My question is this, "Do the hoses have to be run this way or can I switch them on the right side?" I'm thinking they are that way for a reason. Duh... But I don't know. That hose that has rubbed through to the metal is $79.50. Should I replace it ? Opinions and advice. My current mower is from 1994 and so I'm ignorant of a lot mower/hydraulic issues. Thanks for your help.

It takes a lot to wear through that metal braid - it is hardened steel.

It's fine just like that - - but to prevent it from getting worse, I'd built a little sheetmetal guard to keep it away from the tire.

That is odd to expect to drain the system from that filter mount. Perhaps the filter was remounted to that location when it was originally lower?

One thing I am not seeing is a reservoir, where is that, can you drain from it?

The reservoir is the black container in the center of the picture. It's right in front of the filter. This is stock. Nothing has been changed or rerouted.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
The reservoir is the black container in the center of the picture. It's right in front of the filter.

https://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-5004-Suction-Gun/dp/B000M61JYI

31QOfzLuYhL.jpg

Seriously? LOL

It is looking like that may be the best option.

Or, those two hose clamps below the filter might be an ideal lower spot to separate the hoses and drain from them? Especially if one goes up to the reservoir, its hard to tell.

I swapped the fluid in my residential Ariens ZTR last year. There were no drains in either transmission. Using a small vacuum, about a full quart was pulled from each transmission. It's a little quieter now. I've read that the trans is the weakest link (besides the deck) in these residential systems and if you can swap the fluid you'll double their life. Done deal.

Yep. I called 2 dealers and they both said to change filter and remove what I could from the reservoir. I may do this 2 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back