New CooperCSUltra Touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put new tires on the Volvo XC90 today. Rebates and all. Good deal for me.
Took off some Hankooks that were on for 10 years. I know I know should have been taken off years ago .Still had plenty of tread but since the car isn't driven to much (wife has medical issues ) its become the go to the Doctors car , and visiting the grandkids .

Its amazing how good you think the tires that you took off were great until you drive with new tires.

The Cooper CS4's I loved gave way to the CS5.
ERGO, I'm assuming the CSUltra Touring is what the CS5 morphed into.
Whatever they call them at the time, a set of these is going on my V70.

Originally Posted By: Kira
The Cooper CS4's I loved gave way to the CS5.
ERGO, I'm assuming the CSUltra Touring is what the CS5 morphed into.
Whatever they call them at the time, a set of these is going on my V70.

Still running a set of CS4's for my winter tires over my MXV4's which didn't do well in the snow/ice. I wasn't going to use the CS4's for winter but, I have them so, I'm using them. Acutally used them for 2 summers on another car.

I was looking at a set of CS3's but haven't been able to find any reviews on them. Have had good amount of experience with Cooper truck/industrial tires, but not much with the passenger variety.

Originally Posted By: HeritageHighRoof
I was looking at a set of CS3's but haven't been able to find any reviews on them. Have had good amount of experience with Cooper truck/industrial tires, but not much with the passenger variety.

CS3 pretty much replaced the CS4.
But they are not advertised a lot...
They seem to have better winter capability than CS5.
Also they usually are cheaper than CS5.
I think user SatinSilver posted a link at some point about pro-reviews.

Originally Posted By: HeritageHighRoof

The reviews that I was able to find didn't show really positive results over the long run. However when the CS3 are new, owners seem to like'em OK but then...

My BIL put the CS3's on his BMW 328xi(205-55-16) and wore them out quickly.

The CS3 replaces the GLS. It probably has a shorter tread life since the rubber is softer. Same reason winter tires don't last as long. They do have a 65k tread warranty. Below is a review and they do make the top ten list for best all season tires for winter driving.

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/cooper-cs3-touring-reviews/

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/top-10-passenger-car-all-season-tires-for-winter-driving/

In fairness the CS5 Grand Touring makes the list of top ten all season tires. But this is a different tire than the Ultra Touring which is kind of confusing.

https://tirereviewsandmore.com/top-10-touring-all-season-tires/

And the Ultra review here.

I had the CS5 Ultra Touring on my Odyssey and one of them developed an air leak which could not be repaired. I was planning for a vacation so had to replace a pair with Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Plus tires.

CS5 served me well for 23K miles in the last 2 summers and monsoon but they were wearing off quickly and developed cracks. The replaced ones were at 4/32rd tread wear and the remaining 2 are now at 5/32rd tread wear. I'll soon replace the existing ones with Pirellis so that I have same brand on all 4 wheels.

I hope Pirellis will serve me well.

The CS5s came with my Focus and they're LOUD. It's so bad I left the Blizzaks on for the summer since they don't have another winter left.

I had two sets of CS5 Ultras on my (totaled and gone) Mazda 3, and in most aspects they were great. Dry pavement, rain, snow, didnt matter. They drove great and traction in all conditions was excellent. But good grief, they went from quiet, to average, to *LOUD* in about a year's time. So bad I went back to the tire place three times, and twice to Mazda, to have them check the tires and suspension for issues. The first set cupped, and the tire place blamed the car, and Mazda blamed the tires. Neither one however could find anything mechanically wrong with the suspension. The tires "looked fine" and they balanced fine.. they just kept getting louder and louder. Second set, same thing, they started getting loud, although that set didnt cup. They just got loud. Really, really loud.

Right about the time I had the first set installed, my supervisor at work had CS5's installed on his Dodge Journey. I went to lunch with him the other day and they were still on it, about worn down to the wear markers. They werent noisy at all, and he had no complaints vibrations, noise, traction, or anything else about how they drove.

Maybe they just dont like certain cars.

Congrats on your purchase! New tires always feel great. Hope your set serves you well!

Had them on my Kia for 2 years, 35k miles or so, the Ultra Touring kind. Purchased online from DiscounttireDirect.

Pros : Dry Traction ( pretty darn good for their price point for sure )
Wet Traction ( even at 4~5/32nds of tread )
Good handling due to stiffer sidewalls

Cons : Poor Construction Quality ( at least on my set ) 2/4 tires were out of round and took 4+ oz of weight and road force balancing to become tolerable
OK ride/bump absorption. Not terrible, not great. Definitely on the stiffer side.
LOUD ! Especially as they wear.
Flat spot over night.

I also had a set of CS5 Ultras installed 2 yrs ago (on my CTS). Overall they are a great tire, but are not stellar. I will borrow the description layout from bourne in the previous post:

Pros :
Dry Traction - probably the best of any tires I have owned (on a sedan).
Wet Traction - excellent
Good handling due to stiffer sidewalls
Snow traction was great, the few times I ventured northward during winter
Pretty good bump absorption (note that I have the softest suspension for the CTS, so this helps; stiffer suspension may be worse with these tires)

Cons :
Flat spot over night. In all fairness, I have not found a modern tire that doesn't flat spot; Bridgestone, Yokohama, Michelin all flat spotted overnight.
Wear quicker than some. I doubt they will make it to 70k miles.

Last edited:
I should have clarified in my last post. The CS5s probably won't get 70k miles, in part, because of my driving habits. They have great dry traction but the Cad has some nut! I test the traction frequently.

I've had the same experience with CS5 Ultras on our Impreza. Noisy by 20k miles and noisier at about 30k or so on them.

Originally Posted by deanm11
I've had the same experience with CS5 Ultras on our Impreza. Noisy by 20k miles and noisier at about 30k or so on them.

Isn't that true for most tires? If you know of some that stay quiet for 30k+, please disclose this info...they will be my next purchase!

The previous tires on our Subaru were Continental PureContacts. They stayed fairly quiet through their whole life. These CS5 Ultras got way loud- not just a little noisier. The miles pile up quick so we're just bearing with it until the tires wear nearly out next year. I suspect inferior gas mileage too (not just suspect.. my every tank calculations support the idea..)

I go smell the tires everytime I leave sam's club... people think I'm odd
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back