Cigarette lighter or charging port?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you use your cigarette lighter or use it for a charging port?

I have never smoked so charging for me.

They are now called accessory ports, and there's one each for me and my wife. Two in the back seat, and a USB in the console.

the 1997 Cparice had a cigarette lighter front and centre in the front, and one in the back.

The specific design of the "power point interface" does not define it as either lighter or charging port...it's another electrical connector.

For some time now all the rental cars I've used in the USA refer to the outlets as "Power sources", I thought it was because the car makers wanted to avoid lawsuits because they were encouraging people to smoke. I don't think they have ashtrays any more either. Not like Renault cars from back in the 1970's, they had lighters, big ashtrays, somewhere to put your cigarette pack, even a place to rest your pipe!.
Do mainstream cars not have ashtrays in the USA today?, or is it just rental cars?.
Incidentally, when I signed for a car on a few occasions my attention was drawn to my liability for costs for burns in the upholstery or the car needing deep cleaning because of tobacco smoke.

Claud.

I think my 98 Chevy was the last vehicle that had an actual lighter in the port from the factory. Since then they have either been open or had a flap cover or a plastic plug.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Do you use your cigarette lighter or use it for a charging port?

I have never smoked so charging for me.

Try putting a cigarette lighter in some accessory ports, it wont hold in there, it is different.

My GMC was the only one without USB ... but dropped an USB cable out when installing the Pioneer stereo and GPS ...
Has two round ports

Charging port here, also. I do like to keep an extra cigarette lighter insert in each vehicle as an emergency fire starter, though.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Charging port here, also. I do like to keep an extra cigarette lighter insert in each vehicle as an emergency fire starter, though.

I have a cigarrete lighter in the vehicle as an emergency car starter. I use it instead of a choke.

Since I quit smoking back in 1985, I prefer the charging ports.
Regardless, the way to ruin a car, IMO, is to smoke in it.
I even went as far to remove the cigarette lighter in the Ranger, and replace it with a 12v port.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I even went as far to remove the cigarette lighter in the Ranger, and replace it with a 12v port.

Gave it up in 85 and still Jonesing eh.
lol.gif

Personally, I can't figure out why cars are coming with more and more ports anyways. My volt has 3 power ports, two of which aren't even in useful places for me since I'm the only one that rides in the car 90% of the time.

What's with new SUV's having 5-7 power ports AND 5-7 USB connections? And most of those USB ports are only 1 amp so they can barely power lots of today's devices let alone charge them.

You're too much LOL.
Originally Posted By: Ducked

I have a cigarrete lighter in the vehicle as an emergency car starter. I use it instead of a choke.

You forgot to add the option of "Vape" in the car.

P.S.
I had a "bright" at work who wanted to do it in the office.

Both my cars only have power ports.

My 90's cars had some, and it always ended up in the glove compartment just so it does not start (saw couple cases where it did not stop at all....) by mistake.
Only smoker car I had was the '95 Hyundai Accent and even if i clean it pretty good after owned it for a year, I would not buy a smoker's car again...

My Jeep has both a Cigarette lighter port and a charging port. Also has a charging port in the rear cargo area.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

Gave it up in 85 and still Jonesing eh.
lol.gif

No, the previous owner used it quite a bit and I found the residue and odor quite repugnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back