Will you ever buy a new car again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
The engines would outlast the rust of the vehicle by a 3:1 margin at least.

If that was a pun, good one!

I had a chat with a friend who's an accountant the other day who only purchases used cars (my wife and I purchase new and keep 10 to 12 years). In the past, all my cars have been < $35k however as of late those options are not available. I totally understand inflation, but I'm having a hard time looking at cars >$35k despite that I can afford it.

Talking to my friend, he's on a Mercedes kick right now, he picks car/engine choices based on longevity and what his local independent mechanic recommends for reliability. I've been thinking really hard about grabbing a Lexus LS430 or LS460 for
The fear is the reliability, though that can be mitigated with the "right" car (reliable) and some know how. My wife and I bought a used 2000 Taurus wagon in 2008 with 90k miles, and it's been great (150k miles now).

What are some good tips on where to buy?

I've been searching Carmax, Carfax, Kbb, Edmunds. I plan to get a carfax and use an independent/mobile ASE mechanic to inspect the car before purchase.

Last edited:
I used to get new bottom of the line S-10s and Cavaliers because I made long trips in them and didn't want to be stranded. I still keep at least one newer car/truck for trips, but my daily driver is an old car. That being said, there are more good deals on used cars than 10 years ago or so.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I’m seriously considering a 2019 Grand Sport Corvette as a present to myself.

I want a fun car while I can still shift gears.

thumbsup2.gif
Do it!

Of course I will buy a new cars, because of rust, I want to keep it for 10 years, and I don't want to pay for the previous owner's lack of maintenance.

The only new car I bought was back in 2005 and I still drive it to this day. The next one I buy new, if any, will be fully electric.

Meanwhile, I enjoy having no car payments for the last 10 years.

This car is 13 years old and maintenance costs next to nothing.

My wife was worried when we had to drop a few hundred $ into her van. I reminded her that this is less than 1 month of payments on a new one and will extend the life of hers. Her van is 14 years old, some items do wear out. As long as it's nothing seriously expensive, we see no point in changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back