Fuel injector cleaners change oil viscosity???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep reading about this but most of it was speculation. Does anyone know if Techron, Lucas and other brands change viscosity or even thin out motor oil?

I haven't heard that, but ages ago I'd read some mentions of Techron showing increases in lead in UOA's when used right before a change. Never really did any reading or searching on it, but if I use Techron I'll do it right before an oil change and not think twice.

Although I don't really know the answer to our question, most of the more highly regarded fuel system cleaners such as Techron, SeaFoam, Lucas Regane etc., or any of the other hundreds of products, typically mention to use prior to doing your next oil change as it does pollute the oil(this is me talking) during usage, as we do get fuel dilution in our oil. So, maybe the answer is YES!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: webfors
Less about viscosity change, more about introducing byproducts into the oil.
Doesn't it evaporate when the oil gets hot?

Originally Posted By: andyd

PEA is a nitrogen-based detergent stable enough to survive the harsh conditions of a combustion chamber and may not evaporate as you'd expect inside your fuel system. It works by attaching itself to carbon deposits and starting the process of removing them. PEA also can attach itself to other parts of the fuel system creating a barrier against future deposits. A fuel system additive containing PEA should be safe even when overdosed a bit. If your fuel system additive does not contain PEA you're wasting your money.

+1 great post !
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Originally Posted By: andyd

PEA is a nitrogen-based detergent stable enough to survive the harsh conditions of a combustion chamber and may not evaporate as you'd expect inside your fuel system. It works by attaching itself to carbon deposits and starting the process of removing them. PEA also can attach itself to other parts of the fuel system creating a barrier against future deposits. A fuel system additive containing PEA should be safe even when overdosed a bit. If your fuel system additive does not contain PEA you're wasting your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back