New vid from Project Farm - MotorKote. I'm sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say, I'm pretty skeptical about just about all of the over-the-counter oil additives that claim lower friction, stick to metal, etc.. but this video definitely got me believing MotorKote could actually work. Actually seems like it could be a legit product.

Enjoy.

Not on Motorkote itself, but mixed in PP many moons ago. People say it should kill TBN based on chlorinated product, but it was nearly double my other UOAs on PP pre-GTL. It was my UOA around 45k total miles if you search my posts.

Trav, I read that stuff too, and was part of the reason I never reused it again; but, one shortcoming of the Amsoil test (and no followup) is that there have been no subsequent tests of Motorkote & it's chlorine content.

If it's any indication, my iron number was actually among the lowest of any UOA I had while MotorKote was in the sump, and there were no spikes or change in trends in my UOAs after using MotorKote. I don't know if that's a confirmation of MotorKote or not, just sharing the info. In the only time I ever used additives B2B, the UOA after had MOS2 in it, which did not show quite as good of numbers. FWIW

He used to do quick motion vid to the whole testing. Now the 30 minutes and one hour test happens in less than 10 seconds ... w/o filming. That was kindda strange editing, IMO.

I would still like to see any updated info before putting it in an engine, not that I would use it but for others that may, I think that would be good to know.

I don't know much about it but I suspect chlorine in those amounts does its damage slowly but surely, Hopefully Mola can chime in.

Does chlorine have adverse effects in modern engine internals like bearings and such? It may have worked in years past when everything was iron and steel. Now there is a lot more aluminium and alloys present.

Chlorinated compounds can turn acidic over time. Be careful and monitor the pH with test strips. If you see a change, change the oil.

Most basic over-based add paks will keep up with it for some time. I would not try to run it beyond say 6,000 mile OCI's ...

In one of the links, user Turtle268 mentioned a Cummins engine failure due to the additive and how MK has almost 28% chlorine content, posted Feb 2010.

I wonder its because of that this article popped up on Apr 2010:
http://thebestsyntheticoil.com/pdf/TSB MO-2010-04-01_chlorine_oil_treatments.pdf

Went into a deep rabbit hole researching MK since I wanted to give it a try. Saved some money there.

Last edited:
I watched it. Bit ashamed of myself.

First bit confuses wear and friction. No water-only control in the wash-off wear test, which would have been easy to do, but otherwise seems fairly OK.

Then it pretty much degenerates into the usual engine abuse. Engine survives an hour with this stuff and water.

So what? Would it have survived an hour without this stuff and water?

Who knows? (no control).

Who cares?

Not me. I don't want to put water in my crankase, because its a stupid and pointless thing to do.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
I watched it. Bit ashamed of myself.

First bit confuses wear and friction. No water-only control in the wash-off wear test, which would have been easy to do, but otherwise seems fairly OK.

Then it pretty much degenerates into the usual engine abuse. Engine survives an hour with this stuff and water.

So what? Would it have survived an hour without this stuff and water?

Who knows? (no control).

Who cares?

Not me. I don't want to put water in my crankase, because its a stupid and pointless thing to do.

I agree, it´s useless totally out of envelope testing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Trav
I know this is published by Amsoil but it has not been taken down and AFAIK Amsoil has not been sued over it. If this is correct I wouldn't put that stuff in the same room with an engine.

http://thebestsyntheticoil.com/pdf/TSB MO-2010-04-01_chlorine_oil_treatments.pdf

That study is still valid for any OTC additive that contain chlorinated paraffin's. I am not surprised the Cummins engine failed since it has higher combustion temperatures and the potential to create higher levels of acids.

Whether or not MotorKote or any of the other OTC additives mentioned in the Amsoil article currently contain chlorinated paraffin's is anyone's guess, but they are definitely a (edit-mod)-shoot because one does NOT know their exact chemical composition and their potential effects on engine components.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that, scary stuff thinking your engine bearings are being damaged by corrosive chemicals bottled by unscrupulous companies.

BTW mods, here's a definitive and valid definition for the word I used above:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/[censored]

Definition of [censored]
: something (such as a business venture) that has an unpredictable outcome

SO we will use alternative terminology here:

Quote:
Whether or not MotorKote or any of the other OTC additives mentioned in the Amsoil article currently contain chlorinated paraffin's is anyone's guess, but these are definitely additives that can have an upredictable outcome or risky result, respectively, since one does NOT know their exact chemical composition and their potential effects on engine components.

Last edited:
I found myself looking at a bottle of Motorkote today, after listening to a guy at work saying he puts it into everything.
Any long term users of the stuff in here? Anyone pull bearings and done an inspection?

You know I have been reading these Motorkote threads and I notice a few things about the naysayers
1) they never tried Motorkote
2) they say it doesn't work because it contradicts their beliefs(like how manufacturers would buyout the product if it really worked.. right)
3) they say its full of chlorine (one even said they have proof) but I've still to this day seen NO PROOF of chlorine
4) they say the timkin test is a fraud .. well they ran it w/o the one-arm.. its suspended weights not being touched duh (no one-arm)

Well the supporting evidence seems to be:
1) Ive not seen any complaints about Motorkote corroding their engine over 20 years in this internet age you;d think someone would have
2) no FTC lawsuits against Motorkote (unlike many other real snakeoils)
3) over 80% 5-star positive raving reviews
4) incredible experimental results (see for yourself on youtube)

Like I said .. no evidence contradicting Motorkote claims except lots of fear-mongering heresay

Oh another thing, in this age where manufacturers are pushing 10-20,000mile oil change intervals and "life-time" oils (yea right) , do you really think they have the motivation to keep your engine running after sale and after their 3-4 year warranty? They'd rather your engine die 5-8 years after sale and after warranty so they can sell you another.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back