New Roll Cart configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Started a new job last week working for a decent sized independent garage. This is my roll cart configuration so far.
I need to add some stuff.....Like my axle nut sockets, Ring gear barring tool, 5/8"(16mm) & 18mm stubby wrench.

Enjoy!

V4rwIP6.jpg

UcNIEWx.jpg

WpQYGHN.jpg

9UOrNd3.jpg

esmtSD3.jpg

Nice looking cart and I hope the new job works out great.
The only thing that surprises me is that you only have one hammer, unless I missed one...but, I guess you're not a carpenter, right?
;^)

More organized than many of the drawers in my tool cabinet...

I like how you have the pliers organized. Very smart.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Looks good, are you still doing mostly transmissions or back to general repairs?

I'm building some race prepped & high performance units at home, It's just not steady enough with my daughter in college. Since our local drag strip closed down.....My trans business was already down 60% before I left the speed shop.

I thought about going back to a transmission shop, But their all slow as well. As me & you both know.....Transmission don't break like they used to.

So for now, It's going to be general repairs. I like the change of pace to be honest.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Very nice.

Do you specialize in certain things or anything on wheels you’ll work on and repair ?

I did at my last job, Built high performance transmissions & performed LSx engine swaps. At this job.....I work on everything automotive.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Nice looking cart and I hope the new job works out great.
The only thing that surprises me is that you only have one hammer, unless I missed one...but, I guess you're not a carpenter, right?
;^)

I can do 99% of my task with that 28 Oz ball pein, I also have a dead blow right next to it. I don't get mechanics having 40 hammers.
I do need to bring a brass drift & some assorted punches/chisels to work....Thanks for jarring my memory!

This is my Shure transmission table, Bought it new back in 2002.....This is where I keep all my cordless tools, Irwin/Record Vice, I originally had a Wilton Vice but I broke it because I'm a 'tard at times.

Right to left......
18V Dewalt snake light, Good light but don't use it much.
18V Dewalt 1/2" drill. OK tool, These last me about 4-5 years.
18V Dewalt 1/4" Bit Impact. I LOVE this tool, Use it everyday!!

Snap-on CT8810 18V 3/8" Impact. I bought it used with a bunch of other stuff including all the cordless Snap-on stuff I have. It's alright I guess but I would NEVER pay what Snap-on wants for them!!! Get a Milwaukee M18 or something similar.
Snap-on CTL761 14.4v LED Flashlight. GREAT flashlight, Use it everyday, Dropped it over 100 times!, Battery lasts for days.
Snap on CTR761 3/8" 14.4v cordless Ratchet. Like it A LOT, I personally think it's better than the Milwaukee equivalent.....Again, I wouldn't pay retail for it!
Snap-on CTR725 1/4" 14.4v cordless Ratchet, I feel the same about this tool as I do the 3/8" version.

DnFoWk5.jpg

zX83fbb.jpg

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
I can do 99% of my task with that 28 Oz ball pein, I also have a dead blow right next to it. I don't get mechanics having 40 hammers.

When I started in a workshop in this town over 10 years ago, it was the first time I'd worked with a younger generation of mechanics, previously all my workmates were the same age or older. What surprised me was they only had one hammer ! I have a whole draw full, and want more...each hammer has a purpose, and I select for the job to be done. I'd go crazy with only one to choose from.

Originally Posted By: Silk
Originally Posted By: clinebarger

When I started in a workshop in this town over 10 years ago, it was the first time I'd worked with a younger generation of mechanics, previously all my workmates were the same age or older. What surprised me was they only had one hammer ! I have a whole draw full, and want more...each hammer has a purpose, and I select for the job to be done. I'd go crazy with only one to choose from.

The guys that mentored me had a TON of hammers, As you know....Repairing modern vehicles just doesn't require it. Even front end work doesn't call for a 3 pound Sledge anymore, At least not in Texas.

The guy that got me into automatic trans repair used hammers to drive in & out every bushing.....Now we use an Arbor Press, Or at least I do.....WAY easier on the tooling!
And there are Air Hammer attachments for all kinds of task.

Just to be clear.....What's in my work roll cart is NOT all the tools I own, Not even half.

I like hearing how other people work & what tools they use!

My 3/8" drive ratchets......Right to left.

Snap-on FBF80 bent handle, This is my "go-to" ratchet. A lot of mechanics I'm around don't like bent handle ratchets but I couldn't imagine life without one! Bought it off the truck 10 years ago & has never been repaired.

Snap-on FL80 long handle fixed head ratchet. It's not that old, My SO Rep warrantied out a FL936 that had a BAD "Auto-Reversing" issue when leaned on that could not be resolved with a head rebuild.

Snap-on FHX80 locking flex head ratchet, I call it the "Inspector Gadget Ratchet". I DO NOT like this tool AT ALL....The only reason I have it is I bought it with other tools. I'm going to trade it in for a Snap-on FLLF80 extra long flex head (18" long).

As you can see, I do not use a standard body 3/8" ratchet!!

GOPr6V1.jpg

BfYqH8q.jpg

1/4" Ratchets (1/4" Bodied).....Left to right.

Snap-on FCF936 3/8" drive in a 1/4" body, I have never seen this exact ratchet in another mechanics toolbox. Special ordered through my Rep about 20 years ago. I use it quite often...But was at it's prime 10 years ago. It's now badly worn out & will "Auto-Reverse" if leaned on at all.
A rebuild kit will just make it to "tight" if I let my Rep do it, I really don't want to spend $110 on a new albeit improved FCF72. I'm going try to get a rebuild kit & just replace the worn parts & leave the "broken-in" parts alone.

Snap-on TF72 1/4" flex head. My favorite 1/4" ratchet, Bought it at a pawn shop a couple years back.

Snap-on T72 standard 1/4". Sees regular use, Got it "Free" with my intermediate 1/4" metric socket set.

deRN1VX.jpg

I have an SK bent flex head ratchet, I got it 40 years ago to replace the same ratchet branded Champion that was stolen. They were sold through Champion Spark Plugs as a sparkplug ratchet, I still use it every day, and is as fast as an air ratchet...although it's a bit like grandad's axe, I've replced the ratchet mechanism and the handle. I don't use any other 3/8 ratchet.

My Snap-on 1/4 drive ratchet lives in my motorcycle tool kit, because I don't like it. My everyday 1/4 drive ratchet is a plastic Teng, love it. That's 15 years of hard use.

That's a Snap-on T936? I don't like those either! The round head T860 was a far superior ratchet at the time.

I have never seen a Teng ratchet before, Thanks for sharing!!!

The hammer draw...

I like a long handle on my club hammer...that's it's broken handle in the back. I like my small hammer choked...it's just for tapping things on or off, centre punch etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back