Which is better,ARRIS NVG468MQ or Asus RT-N12 D1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got frontier FIOS, 100mbs.I previously had Charter, at 64 a month, now went to Frontier at 38 a month. So which box is better?

Do you require a coax connection or not? NVG468MQ is an internet gateway with a coax input. RT-N12 D1 is just a router - no coax input.

I hope I'm not missing something, but one's a modem+router and the other is just a router. If you're just asking for the router function, I've always liked using a separate router but if you have AC-capable devices, may as well just use the provided combo gateway/router. I think Asus routers have easy to use user interface though and timely firmware updates; no experience with Arris combos.

Quite honestly, what I have read in this thread, to me, it's like reading something ALIEN! But, I do own an ASUS router, in which I think is doing a good job. And, I only paid $39.98 for it from AMAZON. The modem I use is a MOTOROLA surf something (??????). I bought it on clearance at WM for $15. The SUDDENLINK tech. even said it was an excellent setup for the internet speed I am getting from SL (20-30 MBPS?).

The arris is much better that model of asus is very old design/model.

You would want an netgear r6700 for an upgrade from the gateway wifi(arris)

As mentioned one doesnt replace the other. you would still need the arris gateway as a cable modem.

Do you have a phone through them as well?

The OP has FIOS not cable. The coaxial cable connection on the Arris box is an output for IPTV boxes. This is the MoCA system for short-distance (inside one house) networking over coaxial cable. Providers like this system since many homes have existing coaxial cable installed to where the TV sets are, but not UTP Ethernet cable.

The RT-N12 is not suitable for 100Mb ISP speed. If you're going to use your own router you need something faster.

If you don't need the MoCA network or the analog phone outputs, you can replace the Arris completely with a generic router.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Do you require a coax connection or not? NVG468MQ is an internet gateway with a coax input. RT-N12 D1 is just a router - no coax input.
Yes, I do have a coax now, but it first connects to a small Arris box with part no. 6000069-001-000 Model id is MEB1100,it then connects to NVG468MQ with an ethernet cable and a usb cable.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Do you have a phone through them as well?
I have Ooma, no phone service through them and no tv service either.

Originally Posted By: Subdued
You should be asking Frontier this question.
I'd thought i'd ask the more knowledgeable people here first that have had experience with this .

There is another box the ONT. It is usually on the outside of the house. Their fiber goes in, and what comes out can be either coax or Ethernet. If coax comes out of the ONT, the MEB is used to convert it to Ethernet. If you use your own router with only Ethernet input as most of them do, you would need to either run an Ethernet cable out to the ONT, or keep the MEB.

The USB connection to the MEB is likely only to supply it with power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back