white vinegar + distilled water

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone use the above combo to remove water spots? seen some other options as well, what works best?

Cheapest vinegar and water works great! can use with a clay bar too if needed, but usually not needed.

I have tried all the other methods, vinegar is the easiest, best way!

Last edited:
Vinegar is acetic acid diluted in water. It's already pretty diluted and weak. I use it on the water spots around the faucets, takes awhile depending on the build up. No need to use distilled water, mix vinegar 1 part in 4 or so water to try. Maybe use a paper towel dipped in vinegar, diluted or not, wipe to see how it's going. Vinegar is a great cleaner. I just put in yesterday an electronic device, called a scale remover, that turns the minerals into substances that don't stick and wash away. Have to see how that goes.

Meguiar's #47 Hard Water Spot Remover works great on my boats. Follow it with some type of wax.

Does an amazing job, especially on dark colors. Don't know why it wouldn't do the same on cars.

Etched water spots.. like from repeated exposure to sprinklers + daylight sunlight in the summer.. often needs severe wetsand/compound/polish to fix.

The occasional water spot from an afternoon rain storm cleans up with a simple wash, assuming wax was present on the paint.

I'm not really sure what a "water spot" is, but it doesn't sound very serious. Not serious enough to warrant putting extra acid on my car, anyway.

Its a fair bet that fallout from Taiwan's atmosphere is already adding more of that than I'd like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked
I'm not really sure what a "water spot" is, but it doesn't sound very serious. Not serious enough to warrant putting extra acid on my car, anyway.

Its a fair bet that fallout from Taiwan's atmosphere is already adding more of that than I'd like.

You are right in point. Rain collects pollutants and can be acidic itself. As drops set on the car body the water evaporates leaving the pollutant or in most cases a mineral deposit on the clearcoat. As the sun hits the car these deposits heat up to a higher temp than the surrounding body thus creating a micro crater in the clearcoat.

If you suffer from water spot the ideal way will be to wash and clay the surface then put on a sealant or coating that will resist these spots. Ideally you want water to sheet off the car versus beading. Slick surfaces promote sheeting. Then afterwards continued maintenance with a good quick detailer. The Stoners product mention above has some good reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back