P1 oil filters no longer come in a 6-sided box

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Purolator changed their logo and can designs a couple years ago and took away the textured grip, the P1 and Boss came in 6-sided boxes, while the Classic (now painted red) retained the regular square/rectangular boxes.

But as of early 2018, the P1 doesn't come in that six-sided box anymore. Here is a 2018-production P1 box that is a normal box shape, along with some older stock filters in the six-sided boxes:

Apparently, the best-selling filter at Kmart seems to be the PL14459

The PurolatorONE blue can with the red gasket looks so pretty. Just too bad they still tear.

How I yearn for the days of the Advance Auto Parts "Total Grip" filter, back when we didn't have to worry about tears.

All boxes have a top and bottom.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
How I yearn for the days of the Advance Auto Parts "Total Grip" filter, back when we didn't have to worry about tears.

Those were regular Purolator clones....I still have some...I've cut several open after use and never had a TEAR.
Why did Purolator let it's quality go down so much?

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Forget the box, where on Earth did you find a Kmart that's still open?

Right? I thought Kmart went belly up, all the ones here in Montana are boarded up.

Thinking the same. Typical looking KMart shelf though, lots of space, only couple/few of an application, if any. Also available filters stocked in wrong labeled spaces, likely to give the illusion of more inventory, covering up OOS applications. Local KM currently in process of shutting down. As it had become like a ghost town, no idea how it stayed open for this long.

The hex sided box design another useless idea under M&H tutelage. Obviously standard box works best on store shelves. Hex sided box impractical and unwieldy for stocking and display.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
When Purolator changed their logo and can designs a couple years ago and took away the textured grip, the P1 and Boss came in 6-sided boxes, while the Classic (now painted red) retained the regular square/rectangular boxes.

But as of early 2018, the P1 doesn't come in that six-sided box anymore. Here is a 2018-production P1 box that is a normal box shape, along with some older stock filters in the six-sided boxes:

Apparently, the best-selling filter at Kmart seems to be the PL14459

The PurolatorONE blue can with the red gasket looks so pretty. Just too bad they still tear.

Still tear? well I haven't opened one yet that tore? But then my Toyota is a pretty small little filter.

5030 mile OCI severe service 5w-30 QSUD. I can still get them here for $6.70 at Fred Meyer (Kroger) I only have about 5 Kmart's left in Washington the closest being about 30 miles away but before Amazon doubled their price plus on these they were a good deal at $5.95. Now I'm getting Fram TG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jongies3

Right? I thought Kmart went belly up, all the ones here in Montana are boarded up.

There is one not far from my work that has been struggling along for years, not completely sure if it's still open but I haven't heard that it has closed.
Used to stop in there when I worked very near it 10 or so years ago and it always looked like it was on a going out of business clearance sale, lots of empty shelves and shelves without much on them. I could find good prices if I poked around and it just kept struggling on and on...

I always labored under the assumption that some stores could remain open as their original DBA (Doing Business As) only because it's in the lease.

A surviving K-Mart might be managed by some other company. Because it has a lease "as a K-Mart ONLY) it can serve as a retail dumping / clearance store.

There is ONE Texaco station in the State of New Jersey and that is the story I was told. Also, in the case of gas stations, there's a definite lifespan to their underground tanks so if some older station has 1-5 years left, a working relationship can likely be worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back