High mileage oil 10W40 in Mercedes E430 2001 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys ! I am new here..
I need Help to decide ... I have Mercedes E430 4matic 2001, it has 127788 miles on it...
I bought last summer .it was poor maintain because it had some oil build up on valve covers.. iv cleaned last summer . I only used synthetic oil Pennzoil,Mobil1 and now I run Liqui Moly ...
My car burn 1qt per 1000 miles ... Mobil1 was worst 1qt per 700 miles...
Now i wanna switch to Castrol GTX High mileage 10W40
Here is the question...

Can I run GTX HM now and when winter comes can I switch back to the 5w40 Syntetic???????
And how well 10w40 will be at -5 F ???? I am living in New York State...
Thank you..

That High Mileage oil will work well in the '01 MB. Great for summer.
In the winter, it is better to go with a 0w40 that shows "MB 229.5" on the back of the jug or bottle, for flow in the very cold conditions. No problem switching. The extra seal conditioners in the High Mileage oil helps prevent old seals from leaking in the future.

The 10w40 will be on the thick side at -5F but it will flow... reluctantly. Not recommended, but you could do it in the winter too. I wouldn't.

Thank you! Would you recommend add some additive such as Archoil or Liqui Moly Liqui Moly MOS2 Anti-Friction? If I am gonna add this at Winter time to the GTX HM will it reduce the wear at cold start up?

10w is fine at -5 F but if you want to baby it, use the 5w40. Even diesels are getting 5w40 these days. All the oil makers say switching to synthetic is fine. No need to make a Franken brew unless that’s your hobby.

Last edited:
If you want an HM 10w-40 oil that will still flow reasonably well at -5F, look for a synthetic one, such as Castrol Edge HM 10w-40 which meets ACEA A3/B4 spec as well.

What about Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30? You can run that all year round. It’s consistent with most 5W-30s for cold weather specs.

You might give the CASTROL Edge 0W40 a try...My wife's Volvo uses a lot less of that than of the Pennzoil 5W30 Platinum that I've tried...often a different brand can change consumption considerably...

The Castrol Edge 0W40 meets all the specs for your Mercedes, and would do well in your winters.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
You might give the CASTROL Edge 0W40 a try...The Castrol Edge 0W40 meets all the specs for your Mercedes, and would do well in your winters.

Given Cheburashka's desire to use Castrol High Mileage conventional 10w40 in the summer, I think that will work. Then the winter strategy problably should be Castrol 0w40 to be sure. (He could use any MB 229.5 0w40 all year around too of course if he chose.)

About the LiquiMoly 10w40 (above), its not a bad product. I think Cheburashka's strategy of summer conventional High Mileage, and winter 0w40 or 5w40 is just as good.

Last edited:
M1 HM should work as well as anything will in this neglected old Benz.
The 10W-30 grade M1 HM has A3/B3 HTHS as well as very low NOACK so should be fine for this engine.
You don't say where in NYS you live, but for most of it a 10W qualified oil would be fine for winter.
Mercedes used to recommend ridiculously thick oils, so I'd doubt that your car would suffer with a 10W-30 grade even during the winter.
It may well be that you have sticking rings which need cleaning, so a solvent solution might pay dividends and that no oil will solve this problem.

Originally Posted By: Cheburashka
Thank you! Would you recommend add some additive such as Archoil or Liqui Moly Liqui Moly MOS2 Anti-Friction? If I am gonna add this at Winter time to the GTX HM will it reduce the wear at cold start up?
The only additive I would put in would be halfway through an oil change interval, adding Berryman Engine Oil Extender, about a half bottle. Remember, to be added halfway through a full oil change interval, not at the beginning. It has anti-oxidants, VII, dispersant, ZDDP, and moly in the form of molyDTC. All this to replace broken down additives and extend the usefulness of the oil as it ages.

You wouldn't really have to do anything if you change your oil every 6 months anyway, but you can mail-order some of the Berryman product and use it in small amounts to boost oil effectiveness near the end of an oil change interval.

Reducing wear at cold start-up: Decent motor oil already has polar components that stick to cold metal at start-up. That's about the best that can be done at start-up. High viscosity during cold conditions helps, once flow to the parts occurs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
If it's burning oil I would give Liqui Moly 10W40 a try.

Yes I know that..) I like Ken ...
But i herd that this Moly has ability to clogged up the filter a little.. and some say it possible that
This oil also can have deposits.....
So I am just sceptical of that molybdenum...

Privet Cheburashka, ya Krokodil Gena.
I would recommend Marvel Mystery oil. Add 1qt to the oil about 100-200 miles before the oil change.
I had a car that was consuming 1qt per 100 miles. Picture of the engine of that car is below. It was severely neglected by previous owner(s). I added MMO to oil 100 miles before an oil change and my oil consumption improved to 1qt per 3000 miles. Over time, by using this method I improved the oil consumption to the point where it was consuming 1qt per 5000 miles.
Just 1qt of Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase 100 miles before the oil change.
Udachi!

Spasibo
smile.gif
Thanks a lot. I will try that..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back