Oregon 83-013 - 2017 John Deere D160 - Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited to use my new filter cutter to cut open my first filter. When looking for filters for my new D160, I was frustrated that the tiny John Deere filters were going for over $10, so I found a $6.60 Oregon filter. That was before I found that a Motorcraft FL-400s that costs $3 will fit, and will filter much better. The FL-400s barely fits because of it's size, but I was able to manage to remove a plastic trim piece temporarily to get the filter to spin on.

FL-500s fits!:

Last year was my first season with the mower. JD calls for the first oil and filter change at 8 hours, which I did using this filter. 19 hours on the mower at the time of the change, so 660 minutes (11 hours) on the filter...

Any filter that crosses from a Fram 3614 will fit.
The media in the Fram and SuperTech filters are
about twice the area of that JD and Oregon filter.

My 2¢

Look like a decent little filter. The FL-500 Make me want to try a bigger filter on my husky riding mower...

Fram 3600 / Purolator 20195 also fits, if there is room...

The 3614 holds 4 more ounces of oil, the 3800 holds 8...

It seems like for OPE, the PH3614/51348 Toyota or PH7317/51358 Honda filters fit the majority of them. If I owned such a thing, I'll use those filters.

Originally Posted By: sw99
Look like a decent little filter. The FL-500 Make me want to try a bigger filter on my husky riding mower...

The FL500 has metric threads, I doubt your mower uses a metric thread oil filter. Use the FL400S or the FL910S, they both have non metric threads. Or if you have room the FL1A is a large filter that is similar to the Fram PH8 or the smaller PH16.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: SnowmanCO

FL-500s fits!:

I meant the FL-400s in my post above. i have the FL-500s filters too, but those are for my F150. Much larger threads on the 500.

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Originally Posted By: sw99

The FL500 has metric threads, I doubt your mower uses a metric thread oil filter. Use the FL400S or the FL910S, they both have non metric threads. Or if you have room the FL1A is a large filter that is similar to the Fram PH8 or the smaller PH16.

Whimsey
A 3/4" SAE threaded filter can screw onto the 20mm size metric thread but you cannot get it reliably tight. The 20 mm will not screw onto a 3/4" thread.

My John Deere has 3/4" threads but I put an oil cooler sandwich adapter on it and the kit had any thread you wanted to use. I loaded up on some Fram Tough Guards at Walmart for $2 ea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back