Accident-possible total loss-insight needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, my 18 Tiguan was very badly damaged Friday night. Not my fault. Other driver had a two way stop and tried to scoot across in front of me. Guessing I was going 40 when I hit him in the drivers door.

Driver airbag deployed. Front clip destroyed. Possible damage to very front edge of both doors. Lower dash panel pushed in where my knee hit it. State Farm indicated when I called that they are marking it as a possible total loss due to described damage. It had to be towed, and State Farm is going to start looking at it this week. I went through my insurance as he had cut rate insurance and I’ll pay a deductible and let SF go after his insurance.

The car has 800 miles on it. I WANT it totaled. I don’t want it back. If they choose to repair I’ll have no choice, but I’m going to work hard to get it declared a total loss.

Any thoughts on what I might be able to do to pursuade getting it totaled. Maybe nothing but I wanted to know what my rights are and anything you all have done or experienced in the past.

Walked away with some bumps and bruises. Very happy to be just fine. Just upset that the driver never said a word and have not even heard from his insurance.

Help appreciated.

Last edited:
He wasn’t dead. He got out and walked away same as me. I doubt I would have been allowed to leave if he was dead.

They do a repair estimate. They compare the estimate against the value of the vehicle. If the estimate is above a certain % of the value of the vehicle, they will declare a total loss. Each insurance company has their own %. Also, electrical, flood, or structural damage may bias them towards declaring a total loss. Short of slipping the adjuster a Benjamin, I don't know what you can do to influence them. The driver is smart. He knows when to be silent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BTLew81
He wasn’t dead. He got out and walked away same as me. I doubt I would have been allowed to leave if he was dead.

I'm sure its totaled with passenger compartment intrusion. What was the other guy driving? That sounds like a big side impact to walk away from.

Good to hear you are okay. It’s a shame that a brand new car gets wrecked but stuff happens. I agree with you that I would want that car that car totaled.

I have used State Farm for decades and they have worked for me when I needed them.

What was the make and model of the other car and how did it fare?

You need to go over the car with a magnifying glass. Look in unexpected places for damage, such as nicks on the roof from collision shards. Any little chip or nick on any body panel adds up. Also look at all glass for scratches or very small chips. If you could meet with the adjuster and relay your concerns. The adjuster may be sympathetic and do all he can to find damage and relay concerns to ins company about hidden damage that cannot be seen until the car is disassembled. From what you described it sounds like a good candidate to be totaled. I wish you the best and glad that you walked away.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
State Farm is going to start looking at it this week.
Maybe that is the required procedure in your state, but why is State Farm and not a shop of your choosing looking at the damage and providing a repair estimate?

If State Farm (or their default shop) comes up with a repair estimate that is just under the total loss %, then I would demand to have my own repair shop provide an estimate, in hopes it is over the total loss %.

Generally, if there is any sort of frame damage, they will total the vehicle... but not always. If they do want to repair the vehicle, make sure you pick the repair shop and have them verify everything is 100% straight as it should be. Any slight twist should be immediate grounds for it being totaled.

There is a law in Massachusetts that if the accident happens before the car has 12,000 miles or 1 year they body shop has to use all genuine OEM parts. Since VW parts are more on the expensive side maybe that will aid in getting the car totaled. Otherwise you are SOL if it isn't. Try talking to the body shop and tell them that you need a big favor in getting the car totaled and sometimes these shop people are good about inflating prices and getting to where you need to be. Good luck

Thanks. The other driver was in a 1997 conversion van, dodge. If anyone can post a pic for me I’d be happy to send so you can see the vehicle.

Meet the adjuster at the body shop. Don't let the owner of the body shop get involved he's not going to be your advocate. He wants to fix the car not have it totalled. No money in it for him if totalled.

It’s goig to a salvage facility first. State Farm owned. No body shop unless they decide to fix. I’m demanding documentation of all vw parts if they fix,among other things. Thinking this will take a month or more if they fix, so hopefully they figure the price of my rental in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back