Highest Mileage Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is BITOG, so was wondering who has driven or had(or still have) a really high mileage vehicle?

As *High Mileage* is a relative term, I had an Accord with 254K miles.

thumbsup2.gif

2001 Dodge Ram 2wd bought new. 270,000 miles.

Tranny rebuilt @ 238,000 - new fuel pump around the same time - one water pump replaced - three fan clutches until we got it right - new front brakes, original rears - three sets of Michelins (need to buy #4 set soon before next winter)- several serpentine belts (to be careful) - couple of sets of front brakes and rotors.

Oil and filter changes about every 2500 miles. Started out with Castrol GTX, but 2/3 of the oil changes have been Trop-Artic Syn Blend 10-30.

Rockers have never been off the engine (5.9L). Original injectors (lots of Techron and Seafoam)

My daily driver. Wouldn't hesitate to take it cross country tomorrow (after an oil change, of course). Outside of a couple of dimples she looks and drives like new.

Last edited:
200+K is nothing really and is expected nowadays. Going over 300K deserves kudos. We have a handful of members here (that I've read) that have odometers exceeding 400K. There's probably a half-dozen more I missed.

Being 26 I've only put a moderate amount of miles on any one vehicle. 50K on my GMC, 70K on my Cruze (before wifey took it over), and less than 10K each on the others. My Suburban has 331K (possibly 431K) but is on small block #4. However I've been present to the accumulation of lots of miles on several vehicles - primarily my dad's '86 Chevy 3/4 ton pickup and '97 '1/2 ton Suburban. 361K and 440-something, respectively. Transmission rebuilds on both but no engine rebuilds/replacements.

At work we've had a number of S-10s and Express vans over 300k. Surprisingly the ones that go that far have relatively few repairs.

I gave an 83 Toyota pick up (22R) away because of rust when it had just over 500k miles.

I would still see the truck on the road a couple of years later.

I only ever ran 20w-50 in that truck.

Last edited:
'02 Camry, 2.4 liter, 267K miles;
'95 Dodge Dakota, 3.9 liter V-6, 222K miles;
'11 Highlander, 2.7 liter, 129K miles
'10 Sonata, 2.4 liter, 93k miles
'84 BMW R100RT, 70K miles

All are still active in the family fleet and generally rust-free (a minor accomplishment here in the Salt Belt--gotta love Krown), and, apart from the BMW, none have had any engine or transmission repairs beyond replacing valve cover gaskets (Dodge and Camry).

Last edited:
I kid you not YEARS ago I bought a '82 firebird LG4 V8 for parts car and the thing had like 305K miles on the ODO, Original owner told me she drove it from Tulsa to OKC daily for work. She did say it was on its 2nd 200C trans

No thanks for that commute
smirk.gif

Last edited:
It means nothing because some people may have spent alot of cash to keep em going to 200-300k miles...cost of ownership would be a better way to figure it out.

Keeping it past 200K or even 150K is rather a statement that the person is more tolerable of serious repairs than the average person. And they probably don't live in the rust belt, or put a lot of miles on quickly.

Oh, if i viewed repairs and parts replacements from the "it'll cost more than the whole car/truck is worth" standpoint, I wouldn't fill the gas tank on either my Camry or my Dakota. Instead, I value repairs on the basis of how many new car payments would I have to make to pay for the repair. Since I don't see 4-figure repairs on any of them, the answer is usually 3 or less. If I can drive it for another 3 months after any given repair, it's worth doing. Normal wear stuff would have to be paid for on a newer/lower-mile vehicle anyway.

My 84 Civic wagon has 440K+ purchased new. I forgot the exact mileage. It's at home an I'm at work. It's either 440K of 460K.

It failed to get me where I'm going just one time, the ignitor in the ignition. Like Rolls-Royce, I claim it did not break down. It failed to proceed.

'90 Mercedes 300E 212k miles
'85 Mercedes 300CD 170k miles
'95 Mercedes E320 290k miles

'98 BMW M3 162k miles
'95 Mercedes E320 180k miles

Currently still own the last two...

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Keeping it past 200K or even 150K is rather a statement that the person is more tolerable of serious repairs than the average person. And they probably don't live in the rust belt, or put a lot of miles on quickly.

Never had a serious repair on my Rav4. It's driven about 600 miles per week. Mostly all highway. Some things on the engine are starting to rust like the oil dipstick tube. It needs a transfer case repair because it leaks but it costs about $1000. Instead, I top off the transfer case every 3 months. The tranny slips a little bit when just starting out first thing in the morning. And it's consuming about a quart of oil every 1500 miles. Wife wants to drive it as long as she can.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
425k on our shop truck I posted about a couple weeks ago. Highest I have seen on a customers car was 735k. We often see 400k+ roll through here.

735K is insane
crazy2.gif

My dad’s 1990 Delta 88 had around 550,000 miles on it when he gave it to one of my nephews. It looked like a 550K car but still ran like a dream. Original transmission was rebuilt around 400,000 miles. Engine never used a drop of oil. Those early 3800s were indestructible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back