Under valve cover pic

Status
Not open for further replies.
1974 Dodge 360 with 80k on it. As far as I can tell, this was the first time it's ever been opened. Exceptional, in my opinion.

Everyone loves shaft mounted rockers!

Looks Good.
I like the older engines, so much more room.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: rollinpete
Looks Good.
I like the older engines, so much more room.
smile.gif

You got that right. I had both covers off in 10 minutes. No exaggeration!

Lovely ................Interesting to note the difference in valve spring color on the exhaust valves there ...............

Originally Posted By: LvR
Lovely ................Interesting to note the difference in valve spring color on the exhaust valves there ...............

That's because mopar started using valve rotators on the exhaust valves, whcih requires a shorter spring (notice the difference between the retainers). So the springs are actually different between intake and exhaust, denoted by their colors.

On a carbed engine, with (according to records) most of the miles accumulated on 1970's and early 1980's vintage motor oils, low mileage garauntees nothing.

Lots of low mileage vintage motors out there that are crud factories.

Those were very good engines. Looks like someone has overhauled the carb and choke well. It's been almost four decades since I used lacquer thinner to overhaul a carb. Had to be careful with that product but it sure did clean up gasoline residue.

Originally Posted By: Yah-Tah-Hey
Looks like someone has overhauled the carb and choke well.

I did. When I got it, the truck ran pretty poorly. It was clear that, after it's slumber, someone had been cluelessly fiddling with the carb trying to wake the truck back up. I discovered the power valve passage nearly blocked up with crud and some incorrect linkage (accel pump worked when throttle was RELEASED. LOL). Now, it starts and runs almost as good as fuel injection in any temp!

My cleaner of choice for carbs is Alconox. It's almost like magic in that it's an extremely effective cleaner but is also gentle on the equipment! I simply make a boiling pot, throw in my disassmbled carb and components, let soak for a while, remove, agitate, let soak again, blow out, reassemble. Sparkling almost like new.

411oMP%2By9nL.jpg

I have seen some pretty nasty small blocks over the years. This is one of the best ones I have seen. Looks fantastic.

yes that's great. Our '57 283 needed a rebuild at ~80,000 and it was gross inside and out. Those rockers and rocker shaft are solid, thick metal.

-m

looks good! YEARS ago i would tear down engines at a friends shop for rebuilds, one engines top end filled a pound coffee can with SLUDGE!! asked the guy did you use pennzoil? he said YES!!! glad todays Pennzoil along with the rest are a LOT better!!! tore down my 307 72 chevy nova engine for a rebuild as it was DRINKING the conventional Valvoline i used at the time, BUT it was SPOTLESS inside!! always getting a continuous boost with another fresh qt must have helped keep it clean!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back