Rusty side steps

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys recommend for rusty black powder coated side steps? I tried using a cheap spray can of black rust paint but it didn’t even last the winter.

Same experience. Best be if you wanted to spend the money would be to have them sand blasted, then prime and paint them with rust primer and rust paint. You might even then spray them with truck bed liner if you didn't mind the look. Might might be best just to get a new set.

Last edited:
I'd remove them, and then either grind to bare metal, or at least get off any loose flake, ospho/phosphate etch, potentially zinc prime, then paint.

I wouldn't count on anything lasting forever if the original coating didn't last and the metal is that corrosion prone. Perhaps line x or similar...

Are we talking about running boards or step tubes? If tubes the goods ones finish is warranted for life. The cheaper ones which use cheaper steel are only warranted for a year a two. Once compromised its just best to replace!

I had a Ford Ranger bumper with the junk aluminum paint that peeled and bubbled. I sanded the whole thing, applied Rustoleum primer and then a flat black paint with a brush. It looked better than factory and it never showed any rust or peeling. I stepped on that bumper loading stuff in the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back