Not open for further replies.
Till it is a minor stream.
Till it drips
Till it doesn't drip

I usually drain mine till it drips.

Till it’s dripping very slooooowly..

I did 4 oil changes this past Saturday,
smile.gif

I let it get to a slow drip. I'm doing a 15 minute oil change not a hour and a half oil change. When it gets to a slow drip if you wait 2 hours you likely aren't going to get 2 OZ. more.

It's been a while since we've had one of these threads. I do the usual under hood checks etc, while its draining, then do yard work or something else so it can drain an hour +/-.

I usually rush the process by pouring 5 quarts of a GrpV synthetic (Motul, Redline, or G-Oil Advanced) through to flush out the old GTL that was in the sump, and then fill it back up within a couple minutes with more GTL and go on about my business.

whistle.gif

I drain it until it slows down to a very slow drip. Usually just go take a little break for 30 minutes or check out the suspension and other fluid levels.

If a friend wants me to change their oil, I'll give it about 10-15 minutes. Plus usually the car's hot, so it drains out pretty quick.

Last edited:
I'll go until it's a slow drip, maybe 10-15 minutes. I don't want to spend the time to figure out how long it takes to stop dripping...I change the oil warm (but not full operating temp) and think that must help the bulk of it drain out fairly quickly.

Changing oil is not one of my favorites tasks to do, so I let it drain for about a half hour while I have a beer or a coffee and call it good. After a half hour nothing is coming out

I'll let it drain while I clean/inspect the filter housing, about 5 minutes. That extra 1/2 ounce or so of oil you get out by waiting longer is negligible compared to what remains in the engine that can't drain out.

Last edited:
I have started taking them for a drive then letting them drain overnight in the garage.

Wake up and finish the oil change.

Otherwise I just let the oil drain while doing whatever else needs done and button up the oil last.

I let it drain to a trickle, then jack up different corner of the car until nothing comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back