Brake grease on firearms

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my phone or I'd search more. Looking for opinions on using high temperature silicone brake grease in a few greasable locations on a piston driven AR, 1911 rails etc....anyone on here got any long term experience?

I know not all silicone grease is the same, only asking about the high temperature brake grease specifically out of curiosity. Seems like it'd be great but wondering if shear would be a factor etc.

Thanks

The high temp silicone grease that I've got for brakes is pretty thick, viscous feeling. Way thicker in feel than the No.2 NLGI I use on wheel bearings (or on my M1 Garands).

I use a pretty thin grease (TW-25B) for 1911 rails and AR-10 BCGs...I would think that the brake grease is too thick...but I've not tried it.

I don't own firearms - but I've heard Aeroshell 33MS is the favorite for AR-15s(and I was about to buy some of the stuff for the bikes and for my friend in case he does need to tear his AR apart) and C5-A is used by Glock.

It depends on the silicone brake grease - gun rails do see the same kind of wear brake sliding surfaces. I would wager Permatex's silicone formula, Molykote M-77(Honda's stuff) or something with moly and a "ceramic" powder can work but I think some EP would be needed as well. Keep in mind most aftermarket brake grease is PAO-based.

Last edited:
Aeroshell grease is the mil-spec assembly lube used on the barrel threads for assembly. It could be used for lube. But that's not why people use it on the rifles. Its a steel barrel nut on aluminum threads. The wrong type of lube will cause it to permanently seize. Some kind of science to it.

Brake grease is too thick for lube, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back