Standard iPhone Charging Cable Support 2.4A?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received one of those plates that plugs into a wall outlet that has 2 USB charging ports. One of the ports has “2.4” embossed next to it. The other one doesn’t. From doing a little research, the “2.4” means that this port has a 2.4-amp output.

As far as I know, my charging cables are standard iPhone charging cables. I don’t own an iPad. I do have a couple of aftermarket charging cables that I’m sure were made to support both the iPhone and iPad, but I don’t remember if they stated on the packaging the charging rate they support.

So, my questions are, will standard iPhone charging cables “quick-charge” my iPhone when plugged into that 2.4A port, and, if more current is being delivered at a faster rate, will it damage or degrade my battery?

What about quick-chargers for vehicles? The ones I’m using are dongles that plug into the 12V car outlet and use the standard iPhone cable. One is old and the charge rate seems slow. The other is a port that is built into my radar detector power plug and it’s also very slow. I’m thinking about getting one of the quick-charger dongles, but it’s expensive (around $25) for a Charger, so I don’t want to waste $ on it if it’s not actually going to charge at a faster rate.

Phone is an iPhone 6S. Battery is about a year old and shows 92% of original performance on the batt. health meter.

6s doesn’t support fast charging. You could try to send it 10A and it would only draw what it needs. iPhone 8 & X support fast charges along with iPad.

The cable does get slightly warm during charging and I’ve had a couple burn out. 2.4A is a bunch of juice to send through what looks to be 24ga. wire.

Your phone determines current draw.

All the charger can do is limit available current.

I think the OEM charger is only rated at 1A, so I would not expect your phone can draw much more than that.

I can get 1.5A out of my regular cords and a 2.4A wall jack like yours. That's all the iPhone 6 will except.

Originally Posted By: knerml
I think the OEM charger is only rated at 1A, so I would not expect your phone can draw much more than that.

Based on reports I've read, iPhone 6s can draw 2.1A, but for some reason Apple only ships a 1A charger with it in the box.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
Charging slower with a lower amperage is usually best for the battery.

Agreed. But sometimes you're willing to sacrifice a .01% reduction in battery life to get a quick charge.

How are you measuring the amp draw when charging?

I have this issue with my android and running the Torque app in my car. I can plug in a 1A charger but it slowly still drains the battery.

I suspect the cable and have ordered a 3A rated one.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

I have this issue with my android and running the Torque app in my car. I can plug in a 1A charger but it slowly still drains the battery.

I didn’t know you could measure the amp draw.

The cable should no problem, it's the same cable used for the iPads that use a 2.1 amp charger.

I have an iPad mini first generation as well, supposed to use a 1 amp charger and I use the 2.1 amp charger and it's noticeably faster to charge with.

Explaination-this was from my iPhone 6, plugged into a 2.4A wall charger. The amps fluctuate from just a little over 1A to a little over 1.5A until about 95% charge and then the battery slowly limits the charge.
Battery capacity is 95% when fully charged
Originally Posted By: pkunk

In my experience, some of these USB testers can actually reduce the current flowing to the device just by being in the way. A device can draw more current with the USB tester removed.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
In my experience, some of these USB testers can actually reduce the current flowing to the device just by being in the way. A device can draw more current with the USB tester removed.

How o you know? Split the wires in the charge cable and use a meter?

I am seeing higher current values on my phone in Ampere app when my USB tester is not inline. But I do not have the same tester as you.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: SHOZ

I didn’t know you could measure the amp draw.

With an ammeter

I am seeing higher current values on my phone in Ampere app when my USB tester is not inline. But I do not have the same tester as you.

Probably because the USB Tester is taking some of the available current to power itself, so the phone gets a little less. The power supply can only supply whatever it is rated for.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1

Probably because the USB Tester is taking some of the available current to power itself, so the phone gets a little less. The power supply can only supply whatever it is rated for.

I am seeing about 0.5A less. I can't imagine a little USB tester consuming this much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back